8 eggs, no experience. Any assistance appreciated.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Miss T, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Miss T

Miss T New Egg

Aug 21, 2011
    I am sure that this forum sees many threads like mine, someone strolling into your midst with no clue as to what they are doing. In an effort to rectify this I have been browsing through as much as I could to glean advice where possible.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any threads relating to "rookie mistakes" and as such would appreciate any advice that you could offer. I am scared that I am going to kill my potential future geese with too much love and not much sense.

How did I end up in this position though? Well that is quite a story...

I am a South African and work as an environmental manager for a rather large engineering company. We are currently dismantling STS Cranes for our client as one of our contracts. This is an STS Crane. They service container ships. Huge. Me? Afraid of heights.

[​IMG]

Can you see where this is going? [​IMG]

Contractor calls me and says that there is a pair of nesting Egyptian Geese at the top of the crane. I call the SPCA to come and do a removal, which they agree to do. 3hrs later I get a call back from the SPCA saying that they are just too busy and that we should destroy the eggs.

Now I don't mind having to do this kind of thing. It is often my job to do so but... We work very hard to get the contractors to get to a point where they will actually pick up the phone and call us if there is a problem. Destroying the eggs would only affirm in their minds that the environment is not important. I must add at this time that the crane is actively being cut up from the bottom up, these geese are going to get killed if they don't scram.

So I ended up climbing up the crane (with my safety harness- thank goodness), fighting off poor Mother Goose and carrying down all eight eggs - which were icy. Not surprising since it is winter here.

I went home, bashed together a rudimentary incubator out of an two old cardboard boxes. The first night was rough with a high temp that may have caused some damage but I have managed to keep the eggs at a constant 99F ever since.

I candled the eggs on day 1 to see what I was dealing with and they looked very much like Pete 55's thread said it should at the first stages. Does this mean that they may not have been warmed enough to start the development process? Or that mother goose wasn't very good at sitting?

I put a bowl of water and a lappie in the incubator for humidity but I don't have any way to tell if it is effective or not.

I also marked them with permanent marker and only afterward thought that it might be dangerous. It was at this point that I realized that I need some help. I don't know small stuff, like whether permanent marker is okay or not.

I hope that you guys don't mind me picking your brains? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Hi, well the temp sounds good just keep it at 99 F. Geese need humidity around 40 – 45 % for the first 18 days then increased to 60-65% for the rest; so you need a thermometer and a humidity gage you also need to turn the eggs once a day so the embryo does not get stuck on the inside of the shell good luck

Oh and usually the incubation period for geese is 25-28 days

Does this mean that they may not have been warm enough to start the development process? Well if you have it at 99F now it should be ok it could just mean that they are now starting to grow
    Or that mother goose wasn't very good at sitting? Are you sure that she had even started sitting yet, she may have still been laying eggs to make a full clutch and was just turning them every day and keeping them from getting to clod but had not started the brooding presses yet

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  3. OrangeNational

OrangeNational Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    Dutchess County
    Good job, going the extra mile!

4. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    A lot of people mark their eggs with permanent marker and it doesn't seem to hurt. I'm excited to hear how it goes.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Welcome to the world of feathered fowl. [​IMG] Your permanent marker will cause no harm to the eggs. I'm guessing that the hen had not started incubating the eggs. Candle at 7 days and if you see veining, you are on your way. Good luck!

6. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

It's possible the parents were only guarding the nest and incubation had not commenced. Maintain your temp of 99F degrees and turn an odd number of times daily. Being wild geese its probable that fertility will be high and the embryos quite vigorous.

My best advice is to point youback to my two previous threads, one is a guideto incubation and the other is a candling diary. i would read both carefully as all the information is there for you [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=472851
    INCUBATION DIARY

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013
    INCUBATION GUIDE

Hope that helps and best of luck to you [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

7. Miss T

Miss T New Egg

Aug 21, 2011
    Thank you so much for the advice!

I candled my eggs again tonight and have seen no change in all but one. Their yolks were all the same as day one so I have had to chuck them. [​IMG]

It's very sad as I have been mothering them so carefully. Turning them every day and checking my thermometer almost religiously.

The one egg that has changed has a much larger air sac and is very dark (almost black). I am not sure if this means that it is rotten or if there is development. I have popped it back into the incubator and am going to keep an eye on it.

No matter what happens with this egg though I am completely fascinated by the process. I am also amazed at the wealth of information available and the people who do this with such passion. You guys are simply amazing and I am so glad to have stumbled on this forum!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Be sure to let us know what happens!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by