8+ French Black Copper Marans eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by ChooksChick, Apr 2, 2011.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    8+ French Black Copper Marans

Our stock is of Davis, Jeane, and others, but we're working on our own Beak House line and the birds have been selectively interbred to remove faults and improve to the proposed standard.

Please educate yourself regarding incubating Marans eggs: our feeling is that they do better when the humidity is as low as possible or other means are used to promote evaporation, such as sandpapering part of the color away. Evaporation is generally poor due to the rich coloring on the shell. If you have any question about incubating these eggs, please ask in advance- happy to help! Please don't assume you can hatch these successfully **the same** as other eggs you may have hatched.

Other folks may feel differently, and we absolutely don't want to anything but promote thoughtfulness on the way the eggs are incubated, as Marans are notoriously hard to hatch when shipped. Please just look into this before bidding.

We want you to have success but can't be responsible for poor hatch rates. Bidders should understand that shipping hatching eggs is a risk, even under the best conditions. Many factors are out of our control, but we will do everything possible to provide you with excellent chances- our attention to the nutrition of the flock is specifically with robust eggs in mind.

Understand the considerations- some, none, or ALL of the eggs may hatch!

We will do everything possible to work with you if there is a shipping issue; contact us if there is a concern regarding weather BEFORE we ship. It's important to get a PO Box or have the PO hold the eggs for pick-up, so we'll need a phone number for the box.

Sorry about the cruddy pics- using my phone for now!

[​IMG]

Note: Mr. Sir's leg feathering is continuous- the gap was an unfortunate pluck-and-run incident but is growing back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last several sales got a dozen each- I'm not promising, but they're producing well.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I believe I hatched out 8 of 13 eggs (there were no clears) for my New Years Day Hatch. (I accidentally cracked one when removing from the marvelous foam that she sends them in... I reused that foam to send eggs to CA and the buyer loved to too)

These birds are not only beautiful, they are LARGE and grow quickly. The eggs are very dark, large and impressive!

I saved the best looking roo, (I think he'll look just like the one in the pics) and I had no trouble selling the other roo, the rest were pullets.

I can't wait until July to see how they lay.

I am very, very happy with these birds.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  3. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Wow! What a testament, Dar!!

I do love my birds, and the temperament is something I select for when choosing breeders, as well. I know Marans are often known to be standoffish, but I choose the friendliest when maintaining my stock. I'm rehoming several today and moving into the next generation...can't stop seeking perfection!

4. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Whoops! I had a very attentive person notice I don't have a shipping price- I relisted this from a buy it now that had shipping included...Shipping is always $15 for me, as I ship in precut foam.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Their temperament is the most calm of any breed I've ever had and they don't mind being held.

how old do roos need to be before they are ready to do their thing.... 6 mos? Can't wait to replace the old roo with the one I hatched from yours.

6. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:It depends on the fella, but I have had them start treading as early as 14 weeks. If the older girls aren't happy with him, they'll let him know. You can integrate all of them any time around 12 weeks, and just give lots of treats and space, then keep an eye. When you're sure the young fella is close to ready, you just remove the Alpha. Beta will get the idea after a day or two and start owning his spot.

I hold my roos often and call them over to the treats so they can call the girls. We're pals!

7. Paquitagrl

Paquitagrl Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    North Pomfret
    Hi, I'm looking for advice on hatching BCM eggs. I have a flock myself and am having problems with hatching them. Looks like you are an "expert." Do you have any pics, or can you take some, of an egg you have sand papered? How much humidity do you run in the bator? Do you not increase humidity at the end of the hatch? I would really be interested in as much info as you are willing to share. I have over 80 eggs in right now and I would hate to loose most of them.
    I thank you for your help.
    I thought I would post this here to help your buyers with info as well and not just PM you!
    Thanks
    Jen

8. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Hiya! I use the same method for all of my own eggs, which is posted in my signature. When hatching shipped Marans, I'll sand them like this French Cuckoo Marans egg:

[​IMG]

I only sand until I'm just through the color, and then I mist the eggs with betadine-water, mixed to the color of iced tea. This covers the contamination that could occur now that I've removed the bloom.

The idea is to promote evaporation to allow the chick to grow smaller than it would if it contained all of the moisture it started with. I have had too many chicks large enough that they couldn't pip or hatch properly- fully formed chicks that didn't make it at hatch. Once I started using this method (got it from an Emu farmer!) I have had significantly better success with shipped eggs. It doesn't seem to really be necessary with local eggs (my own) and I'm not certain why. When hatching in a really nice incubator, like a Sportsman or an rcom, it also doesn't appear to be necessary, but with most affordable models, it's a helpful method.

I do increase humidity at the end of my hatch, as per my Incubation Cheater, the same for Marans as for other eggs. My feeling is that if you have evaporated the proper amount during the first 18 days, you can't drown them with humidity at the end. Humidity merely prevents evaporation, it doesn't make eggs 'take-on' water.

This works well for me, but like most on BYC, I don't consider myself and egg-spert... I just like to share my egg-speriences to help anyone else who might be able to learn from them!

Good luck!!

Edited to fix double-post and to grammatical-nazify...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by