8 from 7

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mudda, Sep 10, 2008.

1. mudda

mudda Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    Central IL
    I have found 8 brown eggs the last 3 days and I only have 7 brown laying hens. Can a California white lay brown eggs? I have 2 BR, 2 SLW, 3 RIR, and 5 California Whites. I am only getting 2 white eggs, but 3 of my CW hens are over 2 years old, so I don't know how much I should expect from them. These are all from one communal nest box. I'm still very new at this, but the nest box gets emptied 3 times a day at least.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Think I'd check the earlobes of the California Whites...maybe one is something else that looks similar.

To clarify, look for red earlobes on a white chicken. That's a brown egg layer 99% of the time.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  3. mudda

mudda Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    Central IL
    Thanks, I'll check that. Most of them are pearly looking, but I'll make sure. We got the hens from a friend who is moving, so I'm just going off what he said the breeds are.

4. mudda

mudda Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    Central IL
    Ok I checked. Three of the CW have red earlobes and the other 2 are pearly. Does that mean the ones with red are not CW? It doesn't really matter to me what color egg they lay, I would just like to know what they are, and if I should be expecting to get more brown eggs.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Usually the red earlobed ones are brown egg layers. They could be mixed. Can you post some pictures?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Perhaps they are thin white rocks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by