8 hens, 1 rooster all raised by me this Spring and I get one egg a day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dbolman, Nov 12, 2009.

1. dbolman

dbolman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Holland, Mi
    [​IMG] Lets see how many posts are there about egg laying????? [​IMG] Well what can I say I am frustrated. I am thinking of quiting and starting totally over this Spring. Dumb feathered friends anyway. They have the best life of any chickens I know so where is their gratitude!! [​IMG]

Tracy
    Berner Lover

2. cap1717

cap1717 6 chooks, 1 slave. . . me!

Jun 12, 2009
    Do not give up hope! Only ONE of my girls started laying (at 24 weeks) before last week. . . finally (@26 weeks, another started, I went home yesterday to find 3 eggs in the nest box. . . .only one more left to wait for, and she is a bit younger than the others!

3. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    19 RIRs at 29 weeks, 23 RIRs at 21 weeks, 3 EEs at 25 weeks =s 5 eggs a day
    Thats 45 pullets old enough to lay eggs, and a handful which I didn't mention and 2 RIR roos at 21 weeks. Total is 66 chickens in all. That magic age of 20 weeks is just for the perfect birds that live to please you. They won't all be early bloomers.

4. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    2 RIRs that are 7 months old, raised by me since 3 months old.
    1 RIR and 1 Black Australorp 6 months old, raised by me since 2 months old.
    1 RIR and 1 Dominique I aquired last week that are supposedly 8 months old.

Only 1 of the 7 month old RIRs is laying, and she just started 2 days ago (Tuesday). The other 7 month old RIR is doing the squat, but no eggs yet. the two 6 month olds aren't even squatting, and the 2 supposed 8 month olds aren't squatting either.

You are going to be just fine. Just be patient. I have heard that the older they are when they start laying, the fewer problems they tend to have. My 7 month old has laid an egg every day for 3 days now (since she started laying), and the first one was the size of a "medium" store bought egg. Today's egg is the size of a large store bought egg. I am thrilled and glad that I didn't give up on my girls. Hang in there!

5. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Stick it out Dbolman! I did that last year. raised beautiful buffs but wasn't patient enough to stick with it. sold them all and said FORGET IT!

Here I am a year later with who knows how many chickens and getting 10 eggs a day! [​IMG]

6. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

how old are the chickens? What kind are they? Do they free range at all?
    I thought some of mine weren't laying yet, and I was getting frustrated. Out
    of 8 chickens I was only getting 3 from my cinnamon queens for the longest
    time. I would let them out to free range in the afternoon thinking they would
    have already laid. Imagine my surprise when I discovered one laying an egg
    in my yard. They had made a nest and there were already 18 eggs in it. When
    I took those eggs away, they made another one somewhere else. It took me a
    while to get them to lay in the coop. Sometimes I swear they are still doing it.
    Yesterday I didn't get any eggs at all. Today so far I have gotten 3.

7. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Quote:Wow, interesting to know! My first layer was 19 weeks old when she laid, and she has had the most trouble with shell-less or partial shelled eggs, or fragile, weird wrinkled eggs. And recently, she's hit another "dry spell" with no eggs again. The other girls laid at much later ages, and haven't had ANY hiccups in their egg-laying since DAY 1.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by