8 hens in a 4x4x4 coop

KansasChicky

Hatching
7 Years
May 1, 2012
I recently lost 3 of my hens but planed on getting a few more this spring bringing my total to 8 in a 4x4x4 with 4 external nesting boxes. Is this enough room for them? They have an attached 4x4 ranging space but free range majority of the time. I should mention 7 would be heavy 1 medium as i havent gotten them yet.Thanks for your input in advance!!

I've currently 7 chickens in a 4x4 coop and could easily add another.

It's a good size for 8 hens if layer boxes are attached. That said, coop space is part of your overall management system. With my style the birds only sleep in the coop or pass through it to layer boxes to lay. They spend all day outside but I do need to contain them when I'm not here to watch them free range. Live in a suburban setting. I use a 10X10 run to contain them. My coop is on stilts in run so provides some shade and shelter for hanging food, hanging water and chickens. You may need to re-evaluate the run size or you may be in a area where you can let your chickens roam, it's case specific to your management/coop/run needs.

Last edited:
I
I've currently 7 chickens in a 4x4 coop and could easily add another.

It's a good size for 8 hens if layer boxes are attached. That said, coop space is part of your overall management system. With my style the birds only sleep in the coop or pass through it to layer boxes to lay. They spend all day outside but I do need to contain them when I'm not here to watch them free range. Live in a suburban setting.  I use a 10X10 run to contain them. My coop is on stilts in run so provides some shade and shelter for hanging food, hanging water and chickens. You may need to re-evaluate the run size or you may be in a area where you can let your chickens roam, it's case specific to your management/coop/run needs.
[/quoteI've considered enlarging their run when I'm not there watching. I wouldn't like being in that small of space with others lol. My hens Are free ranging, but not in this 10in. Of snow we have right now. Sounds like I have a project this spring. Thanks so much!

I picked up our chicks last week. I got more than I'll need as we can't have any Roos and I'll have to take them out as we find out what we have. I'll end up with around 9 hens in a 4x8 coop with a 15x10 run and a 4x8 (under the coop) shade area on top of that. They will also get to free range when we are able to be outside with them. 8 hens in a 4x4 coop seems really small to me. Can you add a second small hen house and have two 4x4 coops if you can't expand the one you have. I'd really think the 4 x 4 would be more comfortable for 2 to 3 chickens.

Last edited:
Rule of thumb is 4 sq feet per chicken in coop
And 10sq feet per chicken in run.
So, theoretically 4x4 would be just enough for 4.

I was going to say what Crazy Crable said above. Rule of thumb is 3-4 sq feet per chicken in the coop. 3 is for the smaller breeds. I personally have larger chickens (brahmas) and we read that for larger breeds 4 feet was better per chicky. If they get too cramped they may begin to fight or be agitated, and you run the risk of them pecking at one another and pulling feathers. However, certain breeds bear confinement better than others. Our coop is 4x4x4, situated 2 feet from the ground and it is housed within a run that is 10x4 feet and 7.5 feet tall. Good luck! What kinds of chickens are you wanting?

If they free range all the time, they will be fine. I have 8 large breed birds (EEs, mixes) sleeping in a 4x4 coop with zero fighting, and 3 are roosters. But I open the coop in the morning, they range free all day (their choice if they want to go in for bad weather) and choose their bedtime.

It would be too small if the birds were confined.

If I need to confine them, I use deer fencing and T posts to build a temporary run around the coop.

Back
Top Bottom