8 hens, very few eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tracyree, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    I have 8 hens. Four are three year olds (2 buff orps, 1 white rock and 1 barred rock) and four are seven month olds (2 welsummers, 1 Easter egger and 1 Wyandotte)

Egg production is pretty sad.

2 of the 3 yo are molting hard
    1 of the 3 yo has an impacted crop (vet tomorrow)
    The remaining 3 yo must be about to go into molt.

So that leaves the four youngsters. The Easter Rogers lays 6 days a week. She's amazing. The welsummers give me 6 a week between the 2 of them and I have yet to see an egg from the Wyandotte.

It's a bit frustrating. I am buying grocery store eggs and have 8 chickens. :/

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Well, you've pretty much answered your own question with your original post. First half your flock are 3-year-olds, so they are probably showing signs of nearing the end of their egg production years.

Some of your girls are molting...this is the time of year they will do that....it is very stressful on chickens and their egg production will be hit-n-miss at best til they recoup. Be sure to give them extra proteins to help their systems produce new feathers easier.

Let's face it, winter is upon us. Our chickens are molting, colder days and shorter days...these all contribute to a big reduction in egg production. I personally let my girls have a deserved rest this time of year...they've earned it, and they'll be raring to go come spring!

I wish you all the very best, and I hope all goes well at the vet tomorrow with that one hen![​IMG]

3. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Source for local organic happy eggs, might feel better about that. I hate buying the grocery store eggs and supporting that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by