1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 hours in the car later, my Araucana chicks are here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iopele, May 18, 2007.

1. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    The USPS is not on my list of favorite people ever right now.

My babies were guaranteed to arrive today at 3pm. Well, since I know my postmistress really well and she'd sworn to call me the minute they arrived on the truck that usually comes at 10am, I started calling around just after noon. Seems that the USPS had scanned my box of babies when they were loading the truck, so the web tracking number said they were on their way from San Antonio, yet they hadn't actually loaded the box onto the truck. ARGH! Did I mention these babies were mailed Tuesday and had already been in the box 2 days?

I live 4 hours from San Antonio, but it was SO dang hard to find true rumpless tufted Araucana chicks, I wasn't going to leave them in the box for another day. So I picked my kids up from school an hour early, made a makeshift mini-brooder for the car, and off we went to get them.

I ordered a dozen chicks from Nancy Utterback, and she packed 15. Four didn't make the trip, but IMO, that's the post office's fault for keeping the box in the air conditioning! The 11 survivors were freezing and huddled together when we got them. We moved them to our mobile brooder (complete with heat lamp), gave them all drinks of sugar water, and off we went home.

I'll post pictures tomorrow if I can make my camera work--it's notoriously fussy. I'm afraid that one black and white baby might not make the night. It hasn't taken a drink on its own yet, and it's been gagging/choking on the chick crumbles. I've had to do a sort of chick-Heimlich on it 3 or 4 times, because it sort of hacks up the crumbles to the back of its throat but can't get it out from there. Scooping out crumbles from a wiggly chick's mouth isn't fun for either of us! I don't get why it's having problems when none of the others are, because it doesn't seem listless in any other way... although it did go to sleep first tonight. I don't know.

Three babies are pasted and I cleaned them up tonight. Yet another procedure they didn't adore.

So now I'm the proud mama of eleven Araucanas, all rumpless, 4 (that I can tell so far) with adorable tufts on their ears! Six black and whites, four poofy yellow fluffballs, and one beautiful, bossy silver. I'm in love!

2. Hoolie

Hoolie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2007
    [​IMG]

3. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Ahhhh man that stinks. I got a ill feeling in my tummy thinkin about those poor babies freezing.......

Hope the rest hang in there and I hope the camera works [​IMG]

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    How are the babies doing this afternoon?

5. iopele

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    They're doing great! Now I'm going to attempt to put some pics in this post....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(if edited, it's because I messed up on the pics, lol!)

6. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Awwww glad they are okay now! [​IMG]

7. Cheeks

Cheeks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Ohio
    aw. theyre beautiful.
    share with me!

8. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Oh they're very cute! I have hunted around a bit on line looking for the rumpless ones.... they're hard to find thats for sure!

9. iopele

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    I got these from Nancy Utterback in Indiana. Her chickens are show birds and she's been absolutely great in emails. Can't recommend her enough!

10. iopele

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    Just wanted to let everyone know that the black and white chick who was having so much trouble last night seems to be just fine today. In fact, I'm not positive which chick it was now! Three are still having trouble with pasty butts, so we just cleaned them again and this time put Vaseline all over their butts. They didn't care much for the procedure, but I'm hopeful that this will keep the poop from sticking!

We also had several moments of hilarity as I tried to replace the paper towels covering the shavings in their brooder box. I kept scooping them out of there, and ZOOM they'd hop back in faster than I could get them out! It was like trying to scoop sand out of a hole--the more you scoop, the more it runs right back down. Finally we managed to get 'em all out long enough to get the dirty paper towels out and slap down some new ones, but it took three of us to manage it, giggling all the while. Man, I wish I had that on video!

And now it's sleepy-time for babies... standing up!
    [​IMG]

Or snuggled down with a couple of buddies...
    [​IMG]
    (man, they get that bedding dirty fast! You'd never believe I just changed it, would you?)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by