8 hours old chick moving weird

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CocoPopz, Jan 13, 2015.

1. CocoPopz

CocoPopz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    I can't remember if they're all wriggly at this stage, but mine isn't yet walking and keeps tipping over when she moves, she can kick both her legs but one foot looks scrunched up and a couple are toes bent?

2. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Bent toes can be a sign of a vitamin deficiency . Watch for splayed leg and tape as early as you can if required. Having said that , it can take them a day or so to get moving steadily.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

3. CocoPopz

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    This was it before, she kept flipping over
    So I treated it like you would splayed legs, she stood a lot better but still fell when wriggled but I think that's her getting her balance, I think I'll take the thing off after 24 hours, see what's what ad then treat her bent toes?
    Before and after
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. CocoPopz

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    [​IMG]

5. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I would wait till tomorrow and treat if necessary. If you don't have any vitamin B supplements you could sprinkle brewers yeast on a little scrambled egg. Vegemite and marmite are also good sources of vit B .( Dissolved in a little hot water and added to feed)

6. CocoPopz

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    Thank you, I have a multi vit suppliment I add to water to boost day old chicks, I will do this later on, I will take them off and see what's what tomorrow then, it just was getting really stressed when it couldn't get off her back

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by