1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 in 1 Dog Vaccinations - Goes Where?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by black404, Dec 12, 2008.

1. black404

black404 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I bought two of those 8 in 1 dog vaccinations for my dogs and it did not come with instructions on where to give it... Does it go under the skin or in a muscle?

I'll keep it in the frig till I get some instructions.

2. texaschick-a-dee

texaschick-a-dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Texas coast
    When I was breeding Labs I always gave them under the skin in the neck area.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Can you find the name of the drug online? Often you can find instructions online.

4. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    They go under the skin (we like to give them on the left side every time, helps in case there is ever a problem)

Pull the skin up by two fingers and it will make a little triangle, put the needle in to the middle of the triangle.

[​IMG]

Those 8 in 1 vax are the most "reactive" in terms of giving the dog an allergic reaction, have some Benadryl on hand just in case they begin to swell. (more common in small dogs)

5. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Please be aware that they do not usually offer protection against the newer strains of Parvo. Vets have the most up to date vaccines. We found out the hard way, but luckily our pup made it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by