8+ Iowa Blue eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by mrheinz77, Nov 23, 2011.

1. mrheinz77

mrheinz77 New Beginnings Poultry

May 22, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Up for auction are 8+ Iowa Blue Eggs. I am part of a group trying to breed these magnificent birds back to what they once looked like. We are breeding towards a proposed standard. Hopefully in the next few years we have a qualifying show.
    Iowa Blues are a dual purpose breed that are great for free ranging. The roosters take good care of their girls. My rooster has been very calm while the hens are a little more standoffish. They are getting better with the introduction of treats. I have one rooster in with 6 hens.

Fertility has been great. I guarantee fresh & fertile eggs. However, I cannot guarantee hatch-ability due to many variables out of my control after the eggs leave my hands, such as shipping & handling, incubation equipment, and incubation methods. I always pack extremely well and try to include extras. Payment is by Pay Pal only within 12 hours of the end of the auction. No e-checks please.
    PayPal [email protected]

These eggs will ship Monday November 28 or Tuesday November 29, 2011. You can let me know which date you prefer. If this date doesn't work for you, you may still bid and if you win, just let me know when you would like the eggs sent. Payment is still due within 12 hours of the end of the auction.

I am not NPIP yet. Please know the regulations for importation of eggs into your state.

Good Luck and Happy Bidding

Some pictures of my flock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chicks can be Black or Chocolate/Chipmunk Colored
    [​IMG]

This is a picture of the eggs in a carton with XL eggs from the store for size comparison.
    [​IMG]

Quoted from Wikipedia
    "History

The Iowa Blue's exact origin is unknown, but is the subject of a folksy legend that is said to have involved the mating of a White Leghorn hen and a Pheasant.[1] This is especially unlikely considering that Leghorns are light-weight birds with white earlobes, yellow skin, and which lay white eggs.[2] They are one of the more striking New Heritage breeds, resembling Grey Junglefowl in carriage and voice with the bearing and production traits of the old heritage breed the Black Java. Iowa Blues are have never been recognized officially by the American Poultry Association, American Bantam Association, or any other breed standard. In to the 1960s, several hatcheries around Iowa sold the breed, but after these hatcheries either closed or stopped selling them, the Iowa Blue nearly disappeared. Dedicated breed enthusiasts have preserved the breed in to the 21st century, though their numbers remain small. It is listed as "Study" by the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy, entailing that is of conservation interest but lacks the documentation to be firmly categorized.[3]"

Looking back at old auctions, I have only ever seen one other person sell Iowa Blue eggs on BYC and one on ebay. Sure a few hatcheries offer them, but are they breeding towards the proposed standard? If Iowa Blue were recognized by the APA they would be Endangered instead of a Study Group by the ALBC.

If you have any questions, please post them, PM me, or e-mail me.

ETA: picture of eggs

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. mrheinz77

May 22, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    A question was asked about the size of the Iowa Blues. This was my response.

Iowa Blue Thread

This is a link to the Iowa Blue thread. It has the proposed Standard listed. I would say my cock bird weighs all of 7 pounds. Some of my hens are at least 6 pounds while some are a little lighter.​

3. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    I thought for sure someone would have bid on these eggs by now. This breed is very hard to find. I have only know of few breeders/hatcheries that sell this breed and are even then
    you have to wait weeks/months to get them.

4. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    I have some of these eggs due to hatch Monday. [​IMG]

5. mrheinz77

May 22, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Thanks for the comments.

6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    You are selling these too cheap, Jim. Birds this rare should bring four times this much;-) Deb

7. mrheinz77

May 22, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Thanks Deb. I try to start my auctions low so everybody feels they can get some of these magnificent chickens. With the rarity of Iowa Blues we need to get more flocks out there for the breed to survive. This breed is too beautiful to let it die out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by