8 mo Buttercup declining, need advice.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bookofsmiles, Sep 2, 2014.

1. bookofsmiles

bookofsmiles New Egg

Sep 2, 2014
    A couple of weeks ago our 8 mo Buttercup started 'gaping; but she seemed pretty perky still and was eating and drinking fine. The only time she would gape was when she was handled. Then a few days later I noticed her just standing around with her wings drooping, and she wouldnt roost with the rest of the flock. Then my husband saw the other birds attacking her so we bought her inside the house. She hasn't laid an egg yet as far as I know, the rest of the flock only started laying at the beginning of July and theyre all about the same age.
    I checked her crop and its empty, her poops are small greenish/white and dry. I dont see any mites and her vent looks clean.She doesnt have any discharge from her eyes/beak and her lungs dont sound congested. Shes a pretty small bird compared to the others [ Orps and Easter Eggers} I fed her bread soaked with olive oil, scrambled eggs and yogurt over the past week along with her regular food . However today she wont drink, I tried to give her some electrolyte solution with a syringe but it just upset her and started her gaping again. I soaked some of her feed with it and she ate maybe a tablespoon. Im at a loss on how to help her now, I dont know if I should be checking inside her vent or checking her throat for gapeworms? I hate to stress her out any more, she seems really weak.
    Any advice would be appreciated!

2. bookofsmiles

bookofsmiles New Egg

Sep 2, 2014
    Well I took her to the vet as I was at a loss on how to help her.. They said she had a lot of fluid on her abdomen which could have been from egg yolk peritonitis or liver/heart failure. They wanted to hospitalize her and drain fluids/X-rays/antibiotics/tube feedings etc etc which they said would cost $1300. We were unable to pay this much $$ unfortunately so we made the decision to make her comfortable and poor little Ella was put to sleep. I asked if the vet would drain her and let me bring her home to treat her with antibiotics/tube feedings but he refused, which is fair enough I guess. I'm glad I took her in as I really didn't know what else to do.. It's hard, she was really sweet and I still catch myself looking out for her in the yard and suddenly remember she's gone. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by