8 mo Hen "pooping" very large round red blob

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MaDerr, Dec 17, 2014.

1. MaDerr

MaDerr New Egg

Apr 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This red blob is protruding from her vent (as best as I can see). It is a solid substance. What is this? What do I do to treat? She's part of a 20-bird flock. No one else is having this issue. Started a couple hours ago.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

That is a prolapsed vent.

Go to the search bar and type in prolapsed vent. There are several very informative threads on this site on how to help her.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's hard to see the vent clearly in the pics, but it does seem like a prolapse. Honey, Preparation H are things that can be applied to help shrink the red tissue, but it needs to be pushed back inside. With a prolapse, you will want to keep it very clean by bringing her inside and giving her a soak in warm epsom salts daily, then dry her thoroughly. Place her in a darkened cage or room to help her stop laying eggs to rest the vent. Sometimes a prolapse can also take place while a hen is egg bound, so check the vent inside an inch or to to make sure she is not egg bound. Look at the links to make sure if it is a prolapse:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html
    http://beautyofbirds.com/Prolapse.htm

[​IMG]
    vent prolapse

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  4. MaDerr

MaDerr New Egg

Apr 19, 2014
    It's definitely an egg with shell stuck in her vent. I bathed her in epsom salts and applied Preparation H. I've tried "finding" the egg to get it to come out the vent but I can't seem to do that. She is pushing to release the egg and in so doing has torn the lining. Should I push everything back inside?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might try to massage the egg out by lubricating the vent area. Give her some liquids to drink and some calcium ( a Tums, calcium tablet, crushed egg shells or oyster shell. Placing her in a spare bath room in a sink, while adding heat and humidity to the room may help pass the egg. Here is a link : https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/816429/egg-hanging-outside-vent

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  6. MaDerr

MaDerr New Egg

Apr 19, 2014
    Thank you for all of your suggestions. I'm trying them all and realizing that it may take some time. She doesn't appear to be in any pain, thankfully, but it sure looks uncomfortable!

7. MaDerr

MaDerr New Egg

Apr 19, 2014
    I'm unable to get the egg to pass. Should i try breaking the egg?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If possible, I would take her to a vet. An avian vet would be able to break the egg and get it out. If a vet isn't possible, I would keep try to lubricate the vent and try to massage it out.

9. MaDerr

MaDerr New Egg

Apr 19, 2014
    Tried everything but she died this afternoon. Even had a great vet who gave me advice over the phone. Closest avian vet almost 2 hours away. Thank you for your help.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that she died.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by