8 mo old area Aracauna bloated and walking funny

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by desertrider, Feb 3, 2014.

1. desertrider

desertrider New Egg

Feb 3, 2014
    Phoenix
    We have an 8-9 month old Aracauna that has developed a swollen lower body that looks like she is full of water or lots of extra Fluid. She has not started laying yet. Her belly is dragging the ground like a pregnant animal. Could she be full of eggs without the shells and not able to get them out? I don't want to put her down, any ideas?

2. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

4. desertrider

desertrider New Egg

Feb 3, 2014
    Phoenix
    Thanks for all the info! Based on the information I'm sure it's ascites. It fits every symptom perfectly. There aren't any vets around here that work on chickens and it would be cost prohibitive., so we may have to let her go and pick up a few more at the feed store. Thanks for all the info!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Ascites may be a symptom of heart failure or liver disease. Sorry about your chicken.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

You could try draining the fluid, sometimes that will help. I have some pictures that show how if you're interested, it's very easy.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by