8 mo old Plymouth Rock hen has what appears to be a respiratory infection (head cold)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AtHomeOnThRange, Nov 29, 2014.

1. AtHomeOnThRange

AtHomeOnThRange Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2013
    West Tennessee
    I have a White Plymouth Rock Hen that is about 8 mos old. Recently, I replaced my roosters with Rhode Island Red pullets. After that, the Plymouth developed what sounds like a very bad cold. At first, she was wheezing quite a bit, but now her breathing passages seem to have cleared and she just sneezes every once in a while (and her "nose" is still runny, just not as bad as before). The little ones are sneezing too, but haven't been as sick as the Plymouth. I suspect they brought this whatever it is with them.

Anyway, she had stopped laying, but now that symptoms are decreasing, she's starting laying once every two days. The eggs are slightly smaller than what is usual for her, but not terribly so. The shells are also lighter in color than is usual for her also.

Should I dispose of the eggs until her runny nose and sneeze completely clears up?

Oh, and I treated them all with ACV in the water, and sprayed down the coop with an antibacterial/antiviral mixture I made with therapeutic grade essential oils, based on information from www.essentialbird.com. I also fed them yogurt laced with thyme. (and I'll be doing that again today).

Their coop is built up off the ground and the floor is basically a giant sand box.

I've started using the spray as I scoop the coop each morning, to minimize the amount of dust I stir up. I also spray the roost bar, nest box and walls, so the essential oils can be released into the air and in turn, be inhaled by the birds.

Is there anything else I can do for these birds?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The new RIR pullets may have been carriers of infectious bronchitis or mycoplasma (MG.) Essential oils probably won't do anything to kill the IB virus or the mycoplasma, and I would be cautious in their use in presence of a respiratory disease in case of making symptoms worse. IB has to run it's course over 4-5 weeks, and hens can stop laying, or have eggs with rippled shells or watery albumen. Sneezing, chirping, and runny nose is common with IB. Chickens are carriers of IB up to a year after recovery. Young chicks are more severely affected. Mycoplasma symptoms vary with the severity of the strain, but may include foamy eyes, nasal drainage, or swelling around an eye or the face from sinus infection. Tylan, Gallimycin, and Tetracycline drugs are commonly used to treat symptoms, but the disease is chronic, and all birds will be carriers for life. Testing by your state vet can be arranged to know for sure what your flock has. Here is a link to read about respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by