1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 month BO with twisted neck, seizures, fever.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lucretia, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Lucretia

Lucretia Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    DFW area
    This morning I went out to give my girls a warm mashy treat for this chilly, rainy day, and I noticed my 8 month old BO hen standing on the ramp that leads out of their coop. I wondered why she wasn't running down for the treat, so I held a little on my fingers through the mesh, but she didn't even look at it. Then she turned to go back into the coop and fell over. She picked herself up and tried to go down the ramp, but her head jerked and twisted -- almost like it was a seizure -- and she fell down the ramp. I was so scared at that point, so I pulled her out of the run and took her into the house.

The whole way in, she was holding her head kind of crooked back against her body, and I was so afraid she was dying. I gave her a warm bath because she was covered in mud -- I don't know if it was from mud-bathing or if she fell into the mud because of her troubles. Anyway, then I wrapped her up in a towel and gave her the goop from a Vitamin E capsule in some yogurt, and once she dried off I put her in a bin under a warm light. She seems to be a little more stable now, but she still has her head funny, and if she tries to move too much it starts twitching. I also saw her try to straighten up, and she kept standing higher and higher until she almost fell over backwards. I tried to hold out some pellets to eat, but she couldn't pick them up. I'm going to make some into a runny mash to feed her. Also, when she has her head to the side I noticed a little bit of noise when she breathes. It doesn't sound like it's coming from her lungs, but almost like "snoring."

Does anyone know what this might be? Does it sound like a vitamin deficiency? I am planning to go get some poly-vi-sol to give her. But I'm so scared that she is much worse off than that! She has been acting just fine up until today...laying eggs regularly, running around the yard and being active and feisty as ever. About a month ago she had a brief bout of diarrhea, but that cleared up after one day. If anyone has any insight into what this might be, I'd really appreciate it!

*edit to rename the thread

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. Lucretia

May 16, 2009
    DFW area
    Update: Po seemed to be doing a little better tonight...she was managing to eat a bit and drink, though her head was still twisting a bit when she lowered it. If she moves her head too much she'll end up kind jerking it convulsively and then stumbling onto her side. But for the most part she seems to be holding her head better, and was resting comfortably most of today. She laid an egg today and her stool seems pretty much normal from what I could tell. I just wish I knew what was going on! =(

3. Lucretia

May 16, 2009
    DFW area
    Please, if anyone can offer any help or advice...I'm so lost as to what to do for poor little Po. She is doing much worse today...she can hardly stand at all, and pretty much any motion makes her fall into a kind of seizure. Sometimes she starts beating her wings, but usually, her head just shakes and convulses and you can see her pupils spasming. She seems to have a fever, and she's breathing through her mouth now and then. I've been holding her in my lap all morning because she falls on her side if I put her down. I'm just heartbroken, and don't know what to do. I've given her electrolyte water and vitamins and yogurt with a drop of honey, and nothing seems to be helping. I'm so afraid she's dying and I don't know what I should have been doing for her. I don't know if there's anything I can do for her. :(

If anyone has any advice or anything at all...I'd really appreciate it....=(

4. Lucretia

May 16, 2009
    DFW area
    We had to cull Po this morning. :(

5. lolita117

lolita117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Hestand, KY
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, but a little disappointed in our fellow BYC members for no one trying to help. I'm also interested in any information that would lead to a possible diagnosis, I wonder why no one else could help. Again, sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by