8 month cockerel developed wry neck overnight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken girl 15, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Chicken girl 15

Chicken girl 15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    I have a blue spangled spitzhauben cockerel who went to rood 2 night ago just fine. Yesterday morning his head was twisted all strange. He is 1 in a flock of 80 and he is the only one having problems. My flock gets an all flock grower, free choice calcium, corn and free range all day. What is the best thing to give him to help his neck? I started him on nutridrench this morning.

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Go to Walgreen and get Vitamin e and Selenium.

200iu of vitamin E a day

25mcg of selenium a day

Give medicine in a dropper.

Keep him separated stress will make it worse.Wry can be caused by a bacterial infection,Head injury and a vitamin deficiency.

Hope he recovers.[​IMG]

3. Chicken girl 15

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    Should I give him a low dose antibiotic just incase? He's one of my favorite cockerels. He has the best people manners and is beautiful to the pullets. He knows he's the protector of his group since he's the only boy in his group.

4. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Overrun With Chickens

Hello, Chicken Girl.I have just made a article on treating wry neck.Go to the members pages in the learning center and check it out.

5. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    No,Do the Above.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The Poultry Nutri-drench has all the vitamins and minerals you need--and contains vitamin E and selenium. No need to buy something else. Antibiotics are now very hard to obtain without a vet prescription. It helps to find out why he is sick, and list any other symptoms. Wry neck, crook neck, or torticolis is only a symptom, and can be caused by an infectious disease (Mareks, respiratory or other diseases,) a head injury, a hereditary disorder, and a vitamin E deficiency. Here is some reading:
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck

7. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Poultry nutridech only has 90iu of E if you want a fast response best to use Vitamins pills.

NUTRI-DRENCH[​IMG] is a premium, nutrient rich supplement formulated to rapidly deliver energy and essential nutrients. The patented process increases speed of assimilation and bio-availability. The finest nutrition support all poultry.
    GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Lysine (Min)

0.2%

Methionine (Min)

0.05%

Calcium (Min)

0.4%

Calcium (Max)

0.7%

Vitamin A (Min)

22,400 IU/fl oz

Vitamin D-3 (Min)

5,610 ICU/fl oz

Vitamin E (Min)

90 IU/fl oz​
    INGREDIENTS: propylene glycol, molasses products, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, DL-methionine, l-lysine, Vitamin E supplement, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, thiamine, niacin, zinc sulfate, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, magnesium sulfate, manganese sulfate, iron sulfate, copper sulfate, sodium selenite, cobalt sulfate, sugar.

8. Chicken girl 15

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    He is the only one in a total of 80 birds (well 78, the ducks neck got broke when he was 3 weeks old and 1 WL crumpled her own neck trying to get away from my dog who was rolling around on the ground.) He could have gotten tangled up with one of my EE boys. They are huge compared to my spitzhauben group.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by