8 month cockerel lost an eye in a fight?

A friend of mine had a hen get attacked by a hawk once, and her eye looked like this...she kept her isolated in a dark room, food, water, and some antibiotic spray for chickens. Her bird made a full recovery and you can't tell she was ever attacked. Good luck with this fella! Keep us posted on how he does :love

We had this same problem! One of my girs was attacked by a hawk and we thought her eye was gone! But with some cleaning and neosporin she opened her eye up about a week later and made a full recovery!

In the UK you should be able to buy Brulidine OTC from a chemist. It's the closed thing to Neosporin in the UK that you can buy without a prescription as far as I can tell.

I wouldn't bother with putting anything on him other than to just clean him up some. The swelling will go down in about a week, and it looks like his eye is still in there. If it is popped, no antibiotic pigment will bring it back. The worse injuries in him are to his pride. He's probably never had a real can of whoop ass opened up on him before.
I've had several roosters lose an eye from fighting and they do just fine after a month. I did have one once that even after losing an eye just wouldn't quit starting fights. After the other roosters whipped his ass a couple dozen times, they finally drove him off into the swamp on the other side of the creek. He lived over there and even lured him 2 hens over there for about 6 months. The hens finally came back and I quit seeing and hearing him crow over there. But at least he was free from them old ass whoopings his last 6 months.
Chickens are tougher than people give them credit for being.

If the eye gets gouged out, do the eyelids get ripped out with the eyeball usually?
When the eyeball usually gets popped/punctured, it then dries up in the socket. I've never seen a chicken with the eyeball hanging out (like in horror movies). I got no idea about what happens to the eyelids themselves.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. We've cleaned up his nostrils this morning as they were totally solid with dried blood. He's eaten a scrambled egg and some feed and we've seen him drinking so all positive! There is no way you can see his eye as it's even more swollen than yesterday but you can see movement behind the eyelid. Does that mean his eye is still there?

Thanks everyone. We've cleaned up his nostrils this morning as they were totally solid with dried blood. He's eaten a scrambled egg and some feed and we've seen him drinking so all positive! There is no way you can see his eye as it's even more swollen than yesterday but you can see movement behind the eyelid. Does that mean his eye is still there?
Likely, maybe he only got some dust in his eyes, there might be another problem if he dont open his eyes tomorow.

So, who's the winner, they might fight each other again if the pecking order havent been established.
But even if it's established one might develope a trauma, or another one will constantly chasing the other.
Well, every case is different, you just need to observe them, but for now separating them is the best.
Cockerel are pretty hardy, theyll probably heal after a few days, there might be some scar afterward.
Mine got a fungi, white spot all over the head after the scar heal but i got some antifungi remedy.

Back
Top Bottom