8 month egg laying break?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jlovepj1027, Feb 10, 2017.

1. jlovepj1027

jlovepj1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    My EE Emilio whom I got April 2016 laid up until the of May, then went into an early molt in August and hasn't laid since! Is this normal? I have 10 other hens who are all laying just fine. And no, she is nowhere near broody!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Are you sure she isn't broody? (sorry, couldn't resist [​IMG])

What is her diet? Could she be laying around the run or maybe they free range sometimes? Also, not laying over winter is normal, but she would probably start up soon if that's the cause.

Assuming you got her as a chick, she was only four months old in August, which is too early to lay, at least well. How old is she, how long did she lay and why are you sure she isn't laying anymore?

1 person likes this.
  3. jlovepj1027

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    No I purchased her at four months. And no she is definitely not broody. Does not go near eggs or nesting boxes. Eats and drinks daily fine and hangs with the other hens. I have a small yard and follow her around like crazy, I'm obsessed lol! But I've had two go into a break during molt and lay again, and one that laid through molt. She stopped laying long before and hasn't laid again long after. It's so strange!

4. jlovepj1027

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    And they are all on layer feed, have oyster shell and I also give scratch occasionally and treats likes lettuce, leftover pasta, meat, chicken, also sometimes cucumbers, watermelons and scrambled eggs. She's my only free loader so it's very odd. They dust bath, I check for lice, mites and worms daily and take various preventative measures throughout the year. It's driving me crazy!

5. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It does happen that a hen will decide to take time off. But it usually happens more with older layers than younger ones, who are usually gung-ho about laying during the first year or so.

I've had hens take an entire year off, and then resume laying regularly.

You might watch this EE closely. If you see her spending extended time in the nest without producing an egg, she may be egg-bound. Watch her poop to make sure shes not sick. Make sure her crop is full at night and empty in the morning.

She may have a nutritional deficiency. You might give her some vitamins for a while. Or better still, ferment her feed or give her probiotics to encourage better nutrient uptake.

1 person likes this.
  6. jlovepj1027

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    Thank you! I do give them vitamins! And she is never in the nesting box, not ever. She was not my top layer to begin with. However I'm wondering if she was perhaps older than the woman said whom I purchased her from. I did a hatch over the summer of chicks and also purchased one pullets, most are all rare breeds and one other EE but they are lay like crazy! An 8 month break seems odd to me. And I am soon on top of them and checking their pop regularly, giving probiotics or electrolytes when needed, etc. So it makes no sense to me. I think perhaps she could be older because from what I have all been able to read online a hen her "alleged" age, should not be breaking this long.

7. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Do you have a picture of her from when you first got her?

8. jlovepj1027

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    Yes! The hen I speak of is clearly the black one to the right lol

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  9. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    She looks older than four months old in that picture to me.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Some birds are just lousy layers.
    Either love her like a pet.... or send her to the soup pot.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by