8 month old Barred Rocks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cajunlizz, Nov 29, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I raised these barred rocks from 1 week old chicks . they are 8 months old . Any idea what age they would start laying ?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  2. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Hmmmm......I would have thought they would have already started laying, but they could just have not started yet..........should be any time though! [​IMG]

3. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    Are you sure they arent eating thier eggs or that they have a secrect nest somewhere?

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    my blue laced red wyandotte isnt laying either and is 8 months...I know how you feel!

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Why does the title of your post say Buff Orpingtons?

6. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    I was confused too by the title. Mine must have been early bloomers since she started laying at about 4.5 months. Although I have a white rock that just started and she is 6 months. I just can't wait for the EE's to start laying. I will be so excited to find the blue or green eggs!!!

7. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

When I first began researching chickens, I continually read that standard breeds would lay at about 20 weeks. Well, it's been 25 weeks, and my Buff Orp just began to lay. yay! My Barred Rock seems interested in what the BO is doing. She'll follow her into the coop, or look in on the BO while she's in the nest... I keep hoping she'll get the idea of what her goals in life are!
    However, the other two couldn't care any less about eggs/laying than my cat. [​IMG]
    Do you think this might have something to do with the feed they're given now? Sometimes when a plant is starved a bit, it will produce flowers (seeds) more quickly. When given too much fertilizer it will produce lush growth and late flowers. Are we coddling our chickens too much? Good food, a little freeranging every day, crickets and praying mantis in the garden.... not a care in the world. For the chickens, anyway.
    Just a thought....

Carla

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Short days, and a heavier breed, 8 months doesn't surprise me. Are you sure they aren't hiding eggs though? Those combs look bright enough to be laying. If they really aren't though, think of it this way, they'll be more developed before they lay thus less prone to laying problems down the road if they are pets vs production flock.

I'd say the book "standard" breeds often means non leghorn production birds under spring/summer lighting. Kind of like how the "standard" hen eats x food, but doesn't account for weather, age, and the fact some "standard" hens are 3 lbs and others are 6 lbs.

Unlike a plant who's job in life is to make tons of seeds that can hibernate and spread while dormant in hopes of a next generation, I would think that in animals, if food is scarce and times are tough, they would not reproduce as their off spring would not have ample resources to grow up. Like how many animals raise young in the spring/summer when resources are plenty.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I think seasons might play a roll. I have alway had my chicks in the fall Oct. and most started laying in Feb. My first to lay was at 17 weeks and my last to start laying was 27 weeks. Another post on another thread had her first egg at 31 weeks. which would be almost 8 months. My birds are all the same breed. They are standards. My next thought is could they have started laying but hiding their eggs.

10. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:No , they not eating eggs and they are NOT free ranged . I have been watching them ALL very closely for past 3 months .
    They are in a attached run /coop . Even checked under coop for eggs , NOTHING [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by