8 month old brahma pullet has not laid in 5 days. 7 hens total and all six others have been laying.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by littleflocker, Feb 28, 2012.

1. littleflocker

littleflocker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Island County WA
    She is otherwise healthy and well in appearance and behavior. Her last egg fell out on the ground and was thin shelled and more round than a typical egg shape. We have checked to see if she is bound and there is no egg. I look around every day for evidence of egg eating and there is none. I hope she is just taking a break and will soon lay better eggs.

2. littleflocker

Nov 7, 2011
    Island County WA
    Six days now still no egg..............................................

3. littleflocker

Nov 7, 2011
    Island County WA
    ok well if anyone cares she laid an egg slightly better than the last so i will keep an eye out.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Some times they take breaks from laying. My 10 month old EE just started laying again after a six week break. The breeds who are the lighter layers seam to do it more.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Brahmas are not known for being spectacular layers. Plus, if she's just started laying, it's pretty common for laying to be sporadic at first. Or all those funky soft shelled or non shelled eggs, or the weird shapes. It's all good, her system will figure it out.

6. littleflocker

Nov 7, 2011
    Island County WA
    thanks i hope shes okay

7. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Hens are not egg laying machines, they are individuals. I wouldn't worry. Just keep a general eye on her health (crop full in evening/empty morning, no swelling in abdomen, no mites or lice) I'm sure she'll be fine.

My 4 year old Brahmas take 6 months off for winter, then lay 1 egg every few days in the summer. I swear laying less often helps them live longer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by