8-month old cochins not laying yet!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henpeckedmama, Sep 18, 2010.

1. henpeckedmama

henpeckedmama New Egg

Jul 9, 2010
    Ashland, MA
    I have two eight-month-old cochins and they're not laying. I feed them laying pellets and they also eat chick grower cumble because I also have four four-month-old silkies in the coop with them. They get occasional treats of bread, watermelon, lettuce -- just about any vegetable scraps (except garlic, potatoes and onions). I've also been blocking off the nesting box at night because they've been sleeping in it and pooping all over the place. Does anyone have suggestions what I can do to help these hens produce???? I'm frusterated!!!!!

2. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Im having the same problem with my hens as well I posted about it earlier but it got lost in the shuffle of things lol so i figured I would give you a little bump

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't own cochins, but according to Henderson's Chicken Chart and other things I have read, cochins are a slow to mature breed. You may be waiting awhile longer.
    I have LF brahmas, also a slow to mature breed, and I waited 9 1/2 months for two of my girls to start laying.

4. henpeckedmama

henpeckedmama New Egg

Jul 9, 2010
    Ashland, MA
    Thanks for the input. I guess I just have to "hang in there" and continue giving them a high-protein diet and do everything else I'm supposed to do. I'll be listening for the "chicken song" though!!!! I can't wait to cook up some fresh eggs for breakfast!!!

5. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure about cochins, but I've heard some chickens will not lay in the winter/autumn months if it's cold enough. However I'm not sure if that's completely accurate as many people have had their's lay in the dead of winter, then again maybe they have warm winters compared to myself where we get 4-7 feet of snow per snowfall. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Depends on the breed really. Some are better winter layers than others. My adult flock of brahmas usually take a break in late October, early November and then lay well all winter. Right now they are coming out of a molt, but I expect they will lay well this winter.

7. Buns

Buns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    So if a pullet has not yet laid her first egg, at what age do you switch her to a layer formulation versus the developer ration she has previously been on? If you do not know the exact age of the pullet what is the best means of estimating her age?
    Thank you.

8. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Some of my chickens were 34- 36 weeks old before they started to lay eggs.

So many things change the laying patterns, heat, molting, age, breed etc.

Up the protein and you may get some eggs - or do nothing and you may get some eggs.

Caroline

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:You can switch them at 16 to 18 weeks, or when you get your first egg; whichever comes first. A small amount of calcium (most commercial feeds only have 3 tp 4% anyhow) isn't going to hurt them.
    My juvenile birds will be 15 weeks old this coming Wednesday. When they finish the bag we just opened, I'll be switching them to layer.

10. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Sounds like you have Cochins... [​IMG] Seriously some of the show quality take forever to lay. I have a bantam that didn't lay till a year but is super good quality and always wins...(reproducing her would be difficult) up your protien and see if that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by