8 Month old female Mallard but no eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lassira, Nov 10, 2013.

1. lassira

lassira Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    Salem, or
    I have two mallards. One is a disabled drake and the other is a normal female. They are both indoor, outdoor ducks. During the day Delilah is free to roam our backyard and forage as she pleases but at night she sleeps inside with Ferdinand in a spare bedroom with food and water. We have not found any eggs in our backyard and we are worried about why she wouldn't be producing eggs by 8 months. Any tips?

2. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    mallards are seasonal layers, she will not lay until next spring.

Clint

3. lassira

Sep 17, 2013
    Salem, or
    Ok thank you so much. I've read they can lay as early as 4 or 5 months. This helps us feel less worried.

4. cymbaline

cymbaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    Mine were born at the end of February, and starting laying in late August I believe. They quit sometime in October though. One seemed to start laying pretty easily, but the smaller one was having trouble. She was sitting a LOT, and almost waddling the little bit that she did walk. Since the other girl had already laid an egg, I kinda figured that's what was wrong with her, so I took her in and let her soak in a warm bath all evening and overnight, and fed her dandelion leaves and added some calcium to her drinking water. Next morning she was energetic and perky, and there was an egg in the tub. :)

5. lassira

Sep 17, 2013
    Salem, or
    Strange. Will calcium harm my little boy? They don't always share so I could put different bowls for her. She isn't doing the sitting thing. Now that it is fall/winter she probably won't until spring. Being first time duck parents is scary!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    To keep from feeding my drakes roosters and gander more calcium than they need, I feed and All Flock and put oyster shell out in a separate bowl for my layers. They will eat it when they need it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by