8 month old golden chicken stoped laying eggs in tampa ,any answers??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mgonzal351, Nov 17, 2008.

1. mgonzal351

mgonzal351 New Egg

Sep 26, 2008
    She was laying eggs every day,and one day she was on the nest for about 20 minutes and there was no egg???she does not go to the nest anymore?????do i worry

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi and welcome to BYC.
    First we are going to need a little more information to help you figure out what's going on with your chicken.
    What are you feeding her? At this point she should be on layer feed with free-choice oyster shell offered.
    There could be other things going on that could interrupt laying, but chances are it's the decreased daylight that wintertime brings. I haven't lived in Florida in many years, but I believe even y'all are down to less than 14 hours of daylight this time of year, correct? Hens need at least that much to continue to lay year round. During the wintertime they naturally take a break. If you want eggs year round you would need to supplement her light.
    Some chickens (including some of mine) will also moult around this time and that can also interrupt laying. Are you noticing alot of feathers floating around in her home?
    Also, is she an only chicken? Any chance of getting her one or two flock mates? Chickens are flock animals and one chicken would have to be lonely for the company of others like herself.

3. mgonzal351

mgonzal351 New Egg

Sep 26, 2008
    Thanks so much were new to this,The light makes sense. she is on egg maker.we bought her a banny chicken for a partner so she would not be alone..I did get some oster schell ,but hahe not added it for some time...will start tue morn,and no feather loss Thanks so much for your answer ,there pets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by