8 month old hen limping

missychicky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Portland, OR
Amber my Americana is limping on her left foot. She does not appear to be in pain but Is not putting her full weight on it. she will stand on her good leg or put her bad leg lightly on the ground.She still has her appetite
and last night she was sitting in a strange position on the roost with her wings half open and leaning to one side. She was walking fine this morning so it must have happened today. please help she's the sweetest little thing and I hate to see her in like this.

Can you get ahold of her and look at the foot to see if she's got an injury, like a cut or a splinter? If so, you may need to clean that with something like peroxide. New skin works great on cuts for poultry.

Hope it isn't serious,
Sharon

wait I just noticed something, she nit putting any weight on her back toe and it is extremely loose. She not able to curl it up, I think she broke her toe. I can't afford to go to the vet... does anybody know of a way to put a cast or something on a chicken? does she need a cast?

The back toe you can't really do anything about. You may be able to use some vet wrap to support it.

It will heal in time. She should be fine.

I have an Easter Egger with a limp too. She sprain something a few days ago. I set her off the roost in the morning so that she doesn't hurt it further when getting down. She is not limping as better.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom