1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 month old hen, swollen rear

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Suebaby71, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Suebaby71

Suebaby71 New Egg

Jul 31, 2015
    I have one hen that has still not laid her first egg. I thought she was showing signs, nesting, etc, but now I think she's not well. She is lethargic, the other girls were picking on her (just moved her out of there) and when I looked her over she is very swollen in the area under her vent. I don't feel anything like an egg in there, as a matter of fact the swelling feels "squishy", not hard.

Is it possible that she's egg bound and I can't feel it? I didn't put my fingers inside- kinda squeamish about that. I read some other threads about warm baths, is that appropriate here? What options do I have at home?

2. Suebaby71

Suebaby71 New Egg

Jul 31, 2015
    OK, I've been reading more and now I'm wondering if this is a case of internal laying? If that's what it is, is it hopeless?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by