8 month old hen with twisted neck and no sense of balance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickgirl201040, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Chickgirl201040

Chickgirl201040 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2012
    Kansas in the Country
    I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    my chicken has twisted neck and no sense of balance and I don't want to lose her so please help me all I know is that she was like this starting on V-day:(

2. dobby13

dobby13 New Egg

Nov 17, 2011
    I have a hen that is afflicted with that problem. She started out w/her neck like a corkscrew & could only walk backwards.She would go into manic circles to the left.We removed her from the other hens. I have herd it called wry(sp?) neck.My wife,Joanne,gave the bitty massages at the beginning when she couldn't even keep upright.We fed her with a dropper.We are many months caring for this special needs chicken and now she can drink and eat and is looking very healthy. She walks upright and only goes in circles when she gets excited. If the chicken is going to fight to live I have to help it.

3. Chickgirl201040

Chickgirl201040 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2012
    Kansas in the Country
    we feed ours with a dropper to and now she can eat and drink but she can't walk but she is very alive .she can stand but her head still isn't straight. my mom thinks that she had a stroke. we also found 2 wonds on her butt. and her poop isn't right so it smells nasty. she only wants to lay on her left side and when she sees you she lifts her head for a few sec. and then drops it but she has been inproving so I'm happy about that. What do you feed your hen ? how long did it take for her to ricover?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by