8 month old Lemon cuckoo Orps and still can't tell?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mama2B&D&...Chickens, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    We have a flock of about 12 born, one I know is a Roo, he's pretty big bodied just looks more Roo like but these two?

Note: we have too many Roos now but knock on wood everyone is ok still and only our old man who's been here forever crows? weirdest thing. And he kinda stopped crowing a ton? Hence why I can't exactly tell either. Oh, that and they hide eggs so I can't ever get an accurate count. Some are molting anyways and not laying. Last pic just for kicks...I love those furry behinds...

Thanks for any help...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sclark73

Sclark73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    Bruce, Wisconson
    Top photo, 2 closer cockerels and one in back pullet. Pic 2 and 3 cockerels.

3. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    Thanks so much :/ that's what I was afraid of...now even more roo's! problem is I usually just give the mutt roo's we have to anyone but I don't want these going to just anyone :(

4. Sclark73

Sclark73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    Bruce, Wisconson
    I can relate to your dilema. I just give away 8 roosters alst week and have 10 more cockerels that are 3 months old besides the younger chicks I have yet to find out if are pullets or cockerels. Out of the 3 Lemon Cuckoo Orps we purchased only one made it and it's a cockerel so we are rehoming as we have no use for him without a pullet/hen. This spring my daughter purchased 14 chicks and all were cockerels, the 8 we rehomed were of that batch and we had previously given away the other 6 to a friend. I've had my fill with boys this year. So have decided to sell off my other breeds and stick with BLRW and SS. It can get out of hand so fast and have been advised to cull early which will be what I am going to do next year as I don't normally butcher my roos.

5. ngj693

ngj693 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    candler nc
    yes it does seem like I always end up with atleast 3 out of 5 roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by