8 month old pullet lost interest in roosting, eating, drinking- six others seemingly not infected

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chikinlovin, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Chikinlovin

Chikinlovin New Egg

Nov 9, 2012
    I have 7 pullets all together. They are egg layers and I've had them since they were chicks. Mornings ago I noticed one pullet did not leave the roost when I brought scraps out. Later I noticed it just hunched on floor of coop. This morning it was in a nesting box but this evening while six others were roosting it was sitting on floor. All seven were once laying but now only four with darker days and colder weather. I am thinking this is an infection from unclean and slightly crowded conditions. I will be disinfecting everything tomorrow. I never expected having 7 at this point. So I am weary of them all doing well together. Do I think this is an infection and treat with corid? Do I treat all of the chickens. I do not have a lot of options available but I want to do what is right for the chickens. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Chikinlovin

Chikinlovin New Egg

Nov 9, 2012
    UPDATE... I've cleaned the coop entirely. We've had a lot of wet conditions lately. The ill pullet passed away today while I was cleaning. I had placed her under a warm light in a nesting box while I cleaned, but she didn't last long. The other chickens all seem fine. I haven't done any sort of treatment with them. Is this isolated? I never found blood in stool, but the ill pullet did have a lot of white liquid/diarrhea seemingly leaking out. Any one have any ideas? Am getting ready for winter and want happy chickens!

3. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
  4. Chikinlovin

Chikinlovin New Egg

Nov 9, 2012
    She looked mostly normal... I thought maybe her comb was getting a little shriveled. But she didn't eat/drink for a few days either. She was hunched for the two days prior.

5. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    I would treat the flock for coccidiosis just to be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by