1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 month old pullet with cracked beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CathyB59, Dec 24, 2011.

1. CathyB59

CathyB59 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    SE Montana
    One of my 8 month old barred rock pullets has a cracked top beak. The crack is from the tip up the middle and is maybe 1/8 inch long. She seems to be eating okay and is alert. I'm afraid to trim it with a nail clipper for fear I'll make it crack more. I saw on an old link to put a cuttlebone or mineral block in the coop so she can rub her beak on it but that may have been a suggestion for parakeets and cockateils. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If it's that small, it will most likely be fine. You could place a drop of super glue on it if you have someone to help hold her.

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    and then put a pad of bricks or a cement stepping stone in there. I drop some grain on it to encourage them to use it. Mine filed his split beak down on his own like this.
    sharon

4. CathyB59

May 21, 2011
    SE Montana
    Hhhhmmmmm.....the bricks/cement stones is a good idea. I think I'll try that. Thanks. [​IMG]

5. fuzzybutt love

fuzzybutt love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    haven't tried this personally, but i read on another post a while back about using superglue and making a patch out of a piece of tea bag.

6. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I had the same problem with some of my Serama babies.. their beaks were overgrown an splitting at the end so I took a nail file an filed their beaks down some.

7. CathyB59

May 21, 2011
    SE Montana
    I suddenly realized yesterday that I have a Pedi-Paws for filing my dog's nails. 2 of the pullets have cracked beaks now, so I'm going to try filing their beaks today. I'll keep you posted.

[​IMG]

8. CathyB59

May 21, 2011
    SE Montana
    The Pedi-Paws worked! I had to clip a couple of loose pieces off their beaks, but the filing did the trick - no more cracked beaks. [​IMG]

9. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:Very happy to hear your good news [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by