8 month old purebred femal french apine goat coughing

chcknluvr

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2015
North Carolina
Hey, my family and I just got an 8 month old purebred female french alpine goat Friday, named Dolly. We got Dolly from a special place where she was part of a petting barn for children. She was given the best of care and groomed daily. She always had a source of fresh, clean water and the best food. We transported her about 40 miles to our house in the back of our truck in a large dog cage with a tarp over it. When she got here, after a day of isolation, she was put in our 2 acre fenced in pasture with our female one year old boer mix Cindy. We live in the Appalachian mountain range and both goats have a creek with clean drinking water and access to sweet feed and hay. The first day, we thought she had gotten choked, but then she was fine. Dolly's drinking water, but she continues to cough. When she coughs, it sounds like she's choking. Maybe it's stress from moving? She's getting plenty of love and attention from me and my younger brothers and sisters. She's also wormed once a month and has her hooves trimmed. She previously lived in a sanitary, disease free environment. Please let me know if anybody has a solution. Thanks!

If she is coughing it is not from emotional stress. Some goats just cough on occasion and it doesn't mean anything. Keep an eye on her to see if it gets worse. A lot of things can cause coughing. Some serious and some insignificant. From parasites to dust to pneumonia or other respiratory problem. First of all, is she eating? Have you taken her temperature? Are her ears drooping? Does she look depressed? Is her breathing labored? Does she have a runny nose or runny eyes? Is she active and alert or standing or lying huddled in a corner? If she is eating, doesn't act sick, is active and looks healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. By the way, have your goats been vaccinated for entero? If not, get a vial of CD/T (clostridium perfingens/tetanus) from the feed store or livestock supply.

Cassie, thank you so much for your help! Dolly seems a lot better now and is only coughing occasionally. Dolly has been vaccinated for entero, and has been vaccinated for other sickness as well. Your post was really informative and helpful and will help us know what to watch for in the future. Thanks you so much!

Back
Top Bottom