8 month old rooster getting aggressive

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lucky13n3, Mar 26, 2015.

1. lucky13n3

lucky13n3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    I have an 8 month old Blue Orpington Rooster and he is slowly starting to become aggressive. He bit my daughter when she picked him up and then later while I was trying to hand feed the hens treats he got aggressive with me. He has even tried the whole climbing up my leg thing. Is this something that from this point on I need to worry or can I fix this. He has been super awesome until now but I don't want him to hurt someone. Is this maybe due to the fact that he is fully reaching sexual maturity or could it also be that he is on super high alert because there has been a fox hanging around. I am new to the rooster thing and well I want to do what is best. Please help.

2. Pretty typical behavior from what I have experienced with most of my roosters. But I wouldn't put up with much very long. You will have to observe and do what is best for your s situation. Some can be too aggressive to deal with. Some can be sweet like a pet.

Wish ya the best.

I've had over 100 roosters in my time with chickens.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    When roosters become aggressive, it's time to for them to go. Not only do you not want to risk injury to your daughter, but you don't want to breed aggression into your flock. There are loads of unwanted roosters available that people are trying to re-home so you can always pick up a good one from somewhere else.

4. DairyChickenGal

DairyChickenGal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2014
    Virginia
    Once they become aggressive, they need to be culled. They can threaten your family's safety and your hens safety. A lot of times, roosters will cause great stress on the laying hens because of "riding" and without a hen saddle they will become beaten up and loose a lot of feathers.
    With my experience with roosters they have chased me or tried attacking me with their spurs (trust me that's not fun)
    You can always put him up for adoption.

5. lucky13n3

lucky13n3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Update! My rooster is still with us. He now has a bachelor pad and sleeps there. He gets to hang out with the ladies and we hold him about everyday. He seems to have settled into this new routine well. I have noticed that if he isn't handled for a couple of days he can be a little nasty but we don't take his crap. I am just happy I don't have to find.him a new stew pot. Haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by