8 month old rooster = NOM NOM NOM NOM!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by booker81, Dec 24, 2010.

1. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Figured I'd see how well he went through a long slow roast - 275 for about 3 hours. Nothing fancy, just put some poultry seasoning on him and put him in the oven covered with foil. After the long roast, took the foil off and turned it to 500 for a little bit to brown him up.

He looked divine:

[​IMG]

And he tasted delicious! The toddler even had seconds. Not tough, SUPER flavor, and the dark meat was wonderful.

[​IMG]

So, even at 8 months, still not only destined for soup. [​IMG]

This was one of my Craigslist ad roosters I picked up, so he was free too [​IMG]

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    [​IMG]

making me hungry again. [​IMG]

3. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    heck yea!

look at the legs on that guy! [​IMG]

4. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Oh man the leg was good!! His thighs and drummies were about twice the meat of a store bird, and his breast had easily as much meat, and was "longer" if that makes sense. I was worried the legs would be tougher, but cooking him like that sure did the trick, they were fall off the bone and awesome. I admit to going all cavegirl and just picking it up and eating it, kinda like a turkey leg. Man it was good.

I'm glad I made stock with the banties I got, because now I don't want to soup pot these roos, they are definately going to be roasted long and low.

5. malignstar

malignstar Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    Winfield, MO
    I got 17 CL roos but the dogs and cats ate them. They apparently tasted good! LOL [​IMG]

6. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL...See what happens to all them FREE extra roosters we give away

7. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Heh, I always know I'm getting the better end of the deal when I pick them up! Folks seem to think I'm doing them a favor taking them away (and they know that I'm eating them), but I know that I'm making out like a bandit [​IMG]

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    What kind was he? That really looks very nice, and for being as old as he was, it sounds like you cooked him just right. Nom nom indeed!!

9. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    He was a Silver Laced Wyandotte, hatchery [​IMG]

10. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I have some that get around 8+months on my yard. No one wants them!?!?! So do you bake them after they get so old??? Do you encase them in foil, or put in a roasting pan with foil on top? As you can tell I am kind of new to the whole cooking duel purpose birds.

Looks Yum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by