8 month old Salmon Faverolles with crop issue

Sequel

Enabler
9 Years
Feb 17, 2015
Kitsap County, Western Washington
Hello! I have had this pullet since she was 5 weeks old, she lives with 3 others of the same breed, one the same age and 2 hens who are nearly 3 years old. They are fed Nutrena all flock crumbles, both dry and moistened. They have free choice oyster shells and crushed eggshells. She weighed just under 5 pounds when I weighed her prior to worming last fall. There have been no traumas that I know of, no injuries change of diet etc... It has been very cold however, nighttime temps in the upper 20's, some days as high as 40.

Night before last I noticed she was standing there fluffed up and when I picked her up i could feel her crop more than usual at the end of the day. I put her carrier in the upstairs shower where it's very warm. I offered her water that evening which she cheerfully drank, I can't say how may mls, but it took as long as they usually do drinking if that makes sense. I held her on my lap and massaged her crop, which felt firm but not rock hard. She hopped up onto the counter let loose a runny poo, watery with white gel and a few dark specks. Yesterday morning there was one fairly normal looking poo in the carrier, except it was ropy with fiber. The chickens spend the day in a tractor, and they've been working on some spent broccoli plants, so I'm thinking she ate too much of that or the grass they were on that day. She was a runt and has always been food aggressive.

No more poos yesterday, although she did take water when it was held up to her. After reading many threads on this subject I called the vet and she said she would sell me a catheter and a syringe, so last night dear Jim held Valerie wrapped in a towel so I could tube some fluid. I was only able to get about 30cc into the bird before it started coming back out. That was scary but she's still with us! I massaged her for a few minutes, then again before I went to bed.

This morning, more massage and she did drink on her own, not much and she doesn't want to move around. I decided to weigh her so of course as soon as I put her on the scale whoosh! a big diarrhea mess, same as previous evening, mostly clear water with white thick stuff and a few normal colored chunks. I apologize for the description but I'm trying to give as much detail as possible. This afternoon, after assuming she's got a virtual rope laying in there, I opened a couple stool softener gels and let them soak in the water/probotic/vitamin mixture I mixed up for the next tubing.

So a couple hours ago I plopped poor Valerie on Jim's lap and this time only got a little over 10 mls in. I massaged her for a few minutes then let her be.

Am I on the right track? Is this way too little fluid? I hope that @casportpony would take a look since I only had the courage to tube the bird from reading her posts. Incidentally, the vet said " Usually crop issues do not have a good prognosis". I am hoping that because I hand carry these birds twice a day every day that I caught this in time. It couldn't have been brewing longer than about 24 hours. I feel extremely lucky to have a vet that treats chickens! Thank you all so much, if you've read this far.....Lol!

Cathy

Casportpony looks in from time to time, and TwoCrows is also good with crop problems. It does sound like she may have some blockage in her digestive tract since she is passing fibrous bits in her poo. I'm hoping that you get your pullet through this problem.

Please correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure you aren't supposed to give oral fluids to a chicken that cant exert waste normally.I would leave her with probotic water and grit.I would massage her crop regularly and give her drops of olive oil.But it does sound like she has some sort of blockage that cannot be passed.Grit is so important to a chickens digestive system make sure she gets it.

Last edited:
Please correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure you aren't supposed to give oral fluids to a chicken that cant exert waste normally.I would leave her with probotic water and grit.I would massage her crop regularly and give her drops of olive oil.But it does sound like she has some sort of blockage that cannot be passed.Grit is so important to a chickens digestive system make sure she gets it.

Thank you for your reply! I could be wrong.....I feel so helpless! I thought they needed fluid when they had diarrhea...She has access to grit...She seems to enjoy the massage.

Why wont the vet do anything about it?This is really everything you can do.She could've ate something that cant be untangled like string ect.I would ask the vet if she/he can do anything about it.

Tubing fluids is contraindicated in birds with a, but unless you can give them subcutaneous fluids they will probably die if you don't try tubing. Daily water intake should be no less than 5% of the birds body weight, and 10% might be even better.

-Kathy

Quote: @CathlovesJim

You're correct, they do need fluids when they have diarrhea. This link has some great tube feeding info:
http://lafeber.com/vet/tube-feeding-birds/

If she were mine I would I would try to get more fluids into her and long as her crop is *not* sloshy. If it's sloshy, risk of aspiration is much greater. What is her crop like now? If it's not sloshy, insert that tube all the way down until the tip touches the ball of food and try giving another 30 ml. Repeat in 60-90 minutes if her crop has cleared.

-Kathy

@CathlovesJim

You're correct, they do need fluids when they have diarrhea. This link has some great tube feeding info:
http://lafeber.com/vet/tube-feeding-birds/

If she were mine I would I would try to get more fluids into her and long as her crop is *not* sloshy. If it's sloshy, risk of aspiration is much greater. What is her crop like now? If it's not sloshy, insert that tube all the way down until the tip touches the ball of food and try giving another 30 ml. Repeat in 60-90 minutes if her crop has cleared.

-Kathy

Hi Kathy! This morning I offered her some water and she took a little, but didn't want to stand for a minute. Her crop does feel a little sloshy, or maybe doughy. Last night I put the tube down until it touched bottom and could hardly get any into her. The time before that at 30 mil the solution was coming back
up.

We set up a brooder pen next to her flock, and she brightened up considerably seeing them. They are swearing at her but she seems happy, her comb has brightened up and she's drinking water! Doesn't fix the issue but we both feel better for the moment. And thank you so much!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom