8 month old silkie gender? With pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by flockman, Jan 4, 2011.

1. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    These 2 were hatched in May. The nonbearded one just started to get wattles in the last week. She/it has also gotten much fuller and fluffier. The bearded I think might be a cockerel but it does not crow. They live with standard size chickens of which 2 are EE roos. I think that the one without a beard is a pullet. Is the bearded one blue or black? I think it is blue just really dark. Any opinions or ideas are welcomed. Thanks! I am new to silkies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  2. flockman

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Sorry for the poor pictures.[​IMG]
    They did not want to hold still. Plucky did not mind but Blue Beard sure did not like the camera.[​IMG]

3. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    looks like a blue pullet and a black cockerel.....If it is a cockerel, and he's younger and smaller than the other roo's he lives with~~he may not crow

4. Willowsong69

Willowsong69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    New Hampshire
    First one is a hen. The second is hard to tell. I wanted to say roo, but can't commit. Is he/she not crowing at all?

5. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    First one definitely a pullet. Second one looks to have streamers, from the second-to-last photo, which would make him a roo. Or just a wet crest, which would make him/her a silly, wet silkie ;-)

Second one, can't be sure on color from photo. The test of true black: put your silkie in the sunlight. If there's an iridescent green sheen to the saddle, wing & tail feathers, (s)he's black.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  6. flockman

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    The second one/darker one has not crowed to my knowledge. He or she is the same age as the EE roos but one of them started crowing at 3 weeks and the other at 8 weeks. Blue beard, the darker one stands tall like a roo when there is danger and is usually the first to spot it. Plucky the pullet just follows Blue Beard or the EE roos when they free range.

7. flockman

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    The crest was not wet. I think it looks like streamers. They just grew in in the last 2 weeks, which was when Plucky started to really get fuller and more wattles.

8. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    The first is a pullet, the second is a roo.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

First one pullet, second one roo. I have some that look like yours.

10. flockman

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Well I was wrong on this one. THe darker and bearded silkie is not a rooster. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday He did the hen squat. Today he laid an egg. I guess I now have two girls instead of one of each. Oh well. I guess I should have played the lottery the day that I ordered them. I wanted mostly pullets and I got all pullets from st. run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by