8 month old stopped laying. Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick_In_The_Burbs, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I'm wondering if maybe she's starting to molt? I haven't noticed any feathers floating around... Is there something else that could be triggering this? I don't know which of the three has stopped but it is obvious someone has. I keep a tracker and normally I get 2-3 eggs a day but for the last four days I've had two 1 egg days and two 2 egg days. They are acting completely normal otherwise. Oh, and they are EEs. I might be overreacting to this but we haven't had this many 1 egg days so close since Shania finally started laying.

I haven't changed their food, their coop setup or anything else. They have oyster shell on the side and I haven't found any pieces so they're not eating them...

2. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

My EE's like to take "vacations" from laying. Check her for mites, lice and injury. If you ruled them out, she could be broody or starting a molt.

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Quote:My two EE's took a 1 month egg laying strike last month, dont know why. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Well, lets hope it's a short strike for whoever it is. I'll check them over again but they were parasite free last week so it's either a random strike or a molt beginning... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by