8-Month Pullet Losing Feathers Molt or Mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sk8inChick(en), Nov 22, 2012.

1. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Hello.

I have an eight-month-old pullet who has stopped laying presumably due to the shorter days. However, when I picked her up the other day, I noticed that the feathers on her neck are coming out. There are some patches where it is all pinfeathers.

To me, this seems characteristic of a molt, but isn't she way too young? I've also read that it could be mites? I haven't noticed any other signs of distress, just the feather loss.

If anyone could shed some light on the subject, that would be great!

Thank you!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you've looked close and don't see mites I'm sure it's molt.

That's young but I have a breed that always molt their first autumn. What kind is she?

3. sjshaw1980

sjshaw1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have three 8 month old pullets who are doing the exact same thing and one who did it even earlier. They all stopped laying around the beginning of the month, which I figured was due to that nasty cold snap we had, but then they started looking a little ratty and there were a lot of feathers around. So I examined them and sure enough, they are covered with pin feathers but no critters running around on them. They are an easter egger, an australorp, and two crosses that we think may be marans x ??? and white langshan x delaware.
    The nice thing is that Caspar (the langshan/delaware) started earlier than the others but only did a partial molt. Now that she's started laying again, and her eggs have gotten about 30% bigger...which usually happens after the first molt (or so I'm told). She was in the 43-50g range, she's now in the 55-61g range.
    Give them a month or two to get through it and I'm sure they will look just fine and be laying better than ever. :)

4. Sk8inChick(en)

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Thank you for the replies.

It sure seems like a molt. Around the time she quit laying, several months ago, lots of feathers started showing up in the coop, and then I discovered her pinfeathers. She just seems so young!

She is a Light Brahma pullet that we got as a day-old chick in mid-March 2012.

Thanks again!

5. Sk8inChick(en)

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    She is a Light Brahma from Cackle Hatchery.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  6. Rockstarchixmom

Rockstarchixmom New Egg

May 29, 2012
    Worthington, OH
    My Coop
    I have the same problem...........I live in Ohio where the temperature at night is well below freezing and my Ameracauna has decided to molt. She was born in early April so is only 7+ months old. She quit laying about 2 weeks ago and is only losing her tail weathers and "fluffy" butt feathers right now. I am horribly worried that when/if she loses the rest of her feathers it will be December/January when it is exceptionally cold. I wasn't planning on heating my coop - aside from the water heaters as it is well insulated. But - if she doesn't have feathers I am assuming I should? Any suggestions would be most welcome - I am fairly new to the backyard chicken raising:) Thanks!

7. jedijohnjohn

jedijohnjohn New Egg

Nov 13, 2012
    NC
    The pin feathers would seem to indicate a molt... but 8 mos does seem young, but apparently it could happen.

8. mmw30

mmw30 New Egg

Aug 27, 2012
    I have the exact same thing going on as well. Also a Light Brahma, also hatched in early March. Started up near her face and neck, and is slowly working it's way along. No mites. From what I've been able to find and read, it seems like textbook molting, but just very young. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by