8 month pullet went broody last week Thursday (10-17) and now she hasn't laid?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ElCerritoPlace, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ElCerritoPlace

ElCerritoPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    So last week Thursday I caught our australorp sitting on the EE's egg. I took that egg much to her dislike and pecking. That afternoon she was sitting on her egg which I took as well. Now its Tuesday and she hasn't laid an egg since. This is unusual for her, but is it unusual for a broody bird?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Once a hen starts being broody, they quit laying eggs. Their hormones have declared they have enough eggs for a clutch, and now their energy goes into sustaining them while brooding. If you don't want her to brood, the best method to break a broody is to put her in a wire bottom cage with no nesting materials--just food, water and a perch if you want. It will take usually 3-5 days to break her broodiness, and it varies on how long until they start laying again.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  3. ElCerritoPlace

ElCerritoPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Well she's hasn't tried sitting since last Thursday, but I'm assuming she was broody since she never left the next box the whole day and was so mad about me taking the eggs. I didn't know that it would take a while for them to start laying again. I was starting to wonder if she was "plugged up". Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Mine seem to take forever to begin laying again after I break them of being broody. [​IMG]

She sounds normal to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by