8 month RIR Still Not Laying!!!

CAdreaming

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 2, 2011
Cherokee County, GA
Almost 8 months ago we purchased our first chicks- 1 BR, 1 GC, & 1 RIR. Almost 4 months ago the GC & the BR started laying. I love them; they are so consistant with their timing & laying every day (well, the BR takes one day a week off
roll.png
). My RIR still is not laying & shows no desire to lay. We have 4 more chickens that are younger than her (2 EE's & 2 Black Australorps) They are reaching the 5-6 month mark (EE's are the youngest of the flock).

Does my RIR need another RIR?? Is she waiting for everyone else to get on board? My husband is getting tired of her apathy & threating her with the soup pot!!

Any helpful ideas because I'm at
barnie.gif
with her!!!

Thank you!!

I read the other day where someone said some hens just don't lay. I have had about 50 hens over the last couple of years and never got one that did not lay...at least that I know of. I had RIRs last year and they all starting laying at about 4 - 5 months I believe. Are you sure she does not have a nest hidden somewhere? I find nests all the time and just when I think I found them all I find another. My chickens free range from sun up to sun down. I know that I could have way more eggs than I already have if they would lay in the next boxes. Look in dark corners and under things. They can squeeze into the strangest places.
roll.png

Tell hubby RIRs don't make good soup.
wink.png

Quote:
As much as I have time for... school is in session. The articles did not alert me to anything that might be going on (no pest issues, plenty of food, lots of water, no egg eating, no free ranging... & yes I know it's her that isn't laying). I do not have the time right now to read through the pages of replies on that sticky (though I'd love to & probably will later tonight)

I was just hoping that someone else out there had a stubborn RIR once upon a time & had some words of encouragment since "everything" I've read & "everyone" (who no longer has chickens) always states that there is no reason for her not to be laying.

I have never met someone who has only had 1 RIR so I really am wondering if that is a problem... don't think it should be but I'm out of ideas.

Quote:
LOL, I'll have to at least try
smile.png
She's a great chicken... just not laying!! Our layout makes it "impossible" for a hidden nest. The have a a coop with no funky corners to hid in & they have an enclosed attached run that they have taken down to the dirt so it's pretty open in there also. I use to let them free range but have kept them penned for about a month now. I did that because my thought was that maybe she was laying out in the woods.

Chickens that just don't lay... I wonder

Our RIR was the last of the flock of eight to start laying at 25 weeks. I read somewhere that they need 14 hrs of light a day to stimulate egg production, so maybe you should try putting a light in the coop on a timer now that the days are getting shorter. Ours comes on at 3:30 a.m. and goes off at 7:30 a.m. Also, I have read on here that BOSS is good for layers, so I give mine a cupful at the end of the day. Ours have been giving us 6 eggs a day. Good luck!

6chickens in St. Charles :

I just read that another good laying breed doesn't start laying until around 9 months. Was it Marans? Can't recall. But maybe your RIR is another breed?

Yes, I would say it was Marans, RIRs are (in my experience) early layers-great layers too. I have two Marans that are 7 months and their combs and waddles are barely red/pinkish and not very big. They don't let me get near them like the laying chickens with the squat. So no squat and I get squat. haha -
lol.png
I crack myself up!​

Where did you get your R.I. Red from, was it a hatchery or a breeder?
If you received her from a breeder she can take some time to start laying.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom