8 months and NO eggs yet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lcmom, Dec 18, 2016.

1. lcmom

lcmom Just Hatched

May 4, 2016
    Rhode Island shore
    I am new to chickens this year. We got 4 day old chicks the end of April, 2 Plymouth Rock, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Australorp.
    1 Rock turned out to be a rooster and we gave him to a local farmer. Now we have just the 3 girls. 2 started laying in September (an egg from each every day) and our Australorp has yet to start laying. I would have thought that by 8 months old she would have started by now.
    I do have to say that they all get along extremely well - no aggressive behavior at all and actually they are all very tame. So I was wondering if this was normal and she may just be a late bloomer and I should continue to be patient, or perhaps change something I am doing. They are on laying feed have plenty of room and fresh water every day and we are really enjoying spending time with them. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
    Thanks
    e

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

My one Orpington just started last week.....She is 8 months........They lay when ready.....

Cheers!

3. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    It could also be the time of year. As you probably know, they slow down a lot in the winter. I've got 3 hens, including an Australorp and nobody is laying well right now, if at all.

She may wait until the daylight hours are longer to start up.

4. lcmom

lcmom Just Hatched

May 4, 2016
    Rhode Island shore
    Thank you. You give me hope!! :)

5. lcmom

lcmom Just Hatched

May 4, 2016
    Rhode Island shore
    Thank you. Our other two have not slowed laying at all so far and that is why I was getting a little concerned. I guess I will just have to be patient a while longer. Longer days will be coming soon!!! Yay!

Blessings and Smiles

6. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    X2 There are all kinds of factors this time of year. I have had five month old pullets start laying in December while a very few waited until spring when they were over 8 months old. (Those were purchased as day olds. My own tend to lay earlier.) My spring hatch is seven months, one week old and only one is laying. The others look like they could start any day but nothing. They are driving me crazy. Their mothers all started between five and six months old in the months of November and December. This is driving me crazy and I am blaming the poor rooster.
    Most of my older birds are coming out of a molt (not fast enough). Only the ducks are laying well.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by