8 mos Roo's

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tigger65, Nov 22, 2008.

1. tigger65

tigger65 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Danville
    well after months of waiting it is definite,, the 2 beautiful Buff Orps are Roo's.
    We would like to dispatch(first time for us) and deep fry them for Thanksgiving.
    Because of their age do you think this will be ok?

2. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    From reading, not from personal experience, an 8 month old roo may be too tough to deep fry. I would recommend processsing, roasting the frames, then making stock from them. Once you have a nice dark concentrated stock, simmer the meat in it until it's tender, then dice and mix with veggies. Take the stock and make into a thick gravy with the stock and a roux (you know how?) and stir the meat and veggies together. Eating over noodles worked well for US, but you could put a crust over it like chicken pot pie. A soup would be nice, too. Think long, moist, sloooow cooking for old.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Should be a tastey bird. If you want to deep fry it, you ought marinate it 24-48 hours in the fridge first to help loosen the muscle texture.

Honestly, I don't find year old birds to be offensively tough. They just taste more "chickeny" to me.

And as always, the BEST use for an older cockrel:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2001/nov/25/foodanddrink.shopping

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

our last roo was 9 months old when we ate him,,,, he was the BEST chicken ive eaten ,, way better then the younger ones, and wasnt even slightly tough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by