1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 out of 8!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Haviris, May 4, 2008.

1. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    The first of my staggered eggs hatched! I had 3 due Friday, 2 Saturday, and 3 due Sunday, and by Saturday morning I already had 7 little fuzz butts! The last one finally popped out a few hours ago. I expected it to take longer, now what am I going to do with my time while I wait for the next group (due Monday)!

These were from my own flock and I hatched them for a friend, the next ones are shipped eggs, I'm down to 13 (from 18) and I'm pretty sure ones quit on me, so 12 now! I hope I stay lucky alittle longer and have 12 new fuzz butts (that I'm not giving away) by Tuesday!

Then I will have 5 more shipped eggs and 5 duck eggs (my own) due sometime next week I think. And I just added some guinea eggs, and have more ordered!

Anyway just excited about this hatch! (and I needed it since the other shipped eggs I had also due Friday (20 eggs) were damaged in shipping and none made it).

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Congratulations on the hatch!

Shipping is always a risk. I have been there with crushed boxes, badly packed eggs, bad handling by the P.O. and had many others that turned out great. You just never know until the box arrives and you open it up.

3. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    Yes shipping is alway a risk, these eggs were well packed and looked good, but there was several ruptured air cells and blood rings, I had 5 that looked like they were developing ok, but on day 18 when I moved them to the hatcher 4 of those had quit on me, and the last one is now on day 23 and I'm pretty sure it's done.

My next ones are on day 20 today, so far nothing, but hopefully tomarrow I'll see some action.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by