8 Partridge Penedesencas set to hatch November 16Th

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OrpObsessed, Oct 29, 2013.

1. OrpObsessed

OrpObsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    East Texas
    I'm so excited! I ordered these eggs from MPC and I seriously go look through the incubator window every 10 min or so! Lol and they've only been in 3 days!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Good luck with the hatch!

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I just hatched 2 frizzle/naked neck/silky/cochins. and I have 2 more due on the 11th. they are spread because I gave away a roo and it was his last chance.

Good luck with your babies.

4. OrpObsessed

Oct 29, 2013
    East Texas
    Thanks! I have a few silkie eggs in there too. They are spread as well. Been hatching rhem over the last couple days. But they will all be hatched before my Penes

5. OrpObsessed

Oct 29, 2013
    East Texas
    I'm at week one, candled them yesterday and there are 6 viable eggs! :D I'm a bit concerned though because my incubator has been varying in temperature. It goes from a degree higher to a couple degrees lower than it should. I know it's because of the recent weather changes going from very cold in the morning to hot in the afternoon. Doing my best to stay on top of it. My incubator has a fan, but its not perfect. I had a very successful hatch before this one, but the temp never varied. Praying and keeping my fingers crossed! I would love to at least get a pair out of this!

6. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    this happens, just know it happens if the eggs are under a hen too, she would get off the nest 1/2 hr or so a day, or an egg could roll out from under the hen for a while. hotter a degree or so would speed things up, colder would slow things down. I dry hatch and still air-at 99 degrees, and at 102 degrees, 102 works better of course if it goes above, I don't worry too much.

7. OrpObsessed

Oct 29, 2013
    East Texas
    whew! Thanks! I was getting worried. How are your results with dry hatching? I don't know much about it...

8. Coopnana

Coopnana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    north Idaho
    I have 5 silkie eggs under my Gold laced Wyandotte that has gone broody...and then we have 10 silkie eggs in an incubator. Hatch day is 11/18. She had been sitting for 3 days on 3 unfertilized eggs in her nesting box. I have 5 hens and two nesting boxes...so I moved her to a metal dog crate w/ straw and pine shavings. We put the five silkie eggs and then moved her over with them and then covered w/ a blanket for the night. I checked her the next day around noon and pulled up blanket. She had moved her nest closer to the blanket with just three of the eggs. I moved her and the five eggs closer to the middle where the pine shavings were thicker....she's been there for the past 6 days...not sure how the two she hadn't moved with her will do...although they were just put on the nest so thought we could give it a try. We may move more from the incubator to her...or at least move them in w/ her when they hatch to hopefully mother. :yiipchick

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  9. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Dry hatching is fine. better for me. but the conditions are right. I have a small box that holds in just enough moisture. When I reach in to turn eggs I can feel the moisture and when chicks hatch they are just damp enough to hatch. there is a careful balance.

10. OrpObsessed

Oct 29, 2013
    East Texas
    So I candled the eggs and only four out of eight are developing normally. Here's hoping the last four all hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by