8 Silkie Eggs Set in Brinsea Mini Advance 12-15-11

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CSisley, Dec 19, 2011.

1. CSisley

CSisley Chirping

Aug 25, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I set 8 silkie eggs in a Brinsea Mini Advance on Thursday 12-15-11. These were shipped eggs from a win on eBay although after the last hatch(my first) I decided to avoid shipped eggs. That didn't last long! The seller shipped 9 but I decided to toss one that had a ruptured air cell. My incubator only holds seven eggs using the auto turn so I squeezed in the extra egg which forces me to hand turn two of them. I candled them last night and found that 6 out of 8 are showing clear development. Interestingly the two that don't appear to be developing are the ones I'm having to hand turn...But I'll give them a few more days. I plan on posting pictures/updates so if your hatch is around a similar time please join the thread!

2. CSisley

CSisley Chirping

Aug 25, 2011
    Eastern NC
    1 at 5 days, I could actually see the little heart beating.
    [​IMG]
    After this candling I was able to weed out one egg bringing me down to 7 eggs which means I don't have to hand turn anymore, yay!

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Songster

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Oh, that's great!!!

I set some eggs on Saturday in my brinsea mini advance. I'm trying to hold out two more days to candle.

I hope you have great results.

4. CSisley

CSisley Chirping

Aug 25, 2011
    Eastern NC
    Sphinx,

Cool! I like to hear from other Brinsea users. I'm a candleraholic, I've already candled them 3 times and I'm only on day 6;I just think those little developing embryos are so interesting. The big event with my first hatch was when I was able to see a little foot on day 16 or so but this is the first time I've actually seen the heart beat. I can see alot more detail with these silkie eggs than I was with the wyandotte and swedish flower eggs from my first hatch. Anyhoo I hope your hatch goes well and I'd love hear about it!

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Songster

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Quit tempting me to go candle!!!! I'm scared that if I try now, I'll be disappointed. I'm very susceptible to peer pressure with regards to candling.

I've got GLW eggs in my incubator, and I"ve been in awe that they're so much easier to see through than the EE eggs I'm used to.

6. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chirping

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    How are you monitoring the moisture level? I just set seven eggs in a new Brinsea Mini Advance Egg Incubator with Automatic Egg Turner and a bit late thought about how to monitor the moisture. If it isn't high enough or low enough and the problems that can occur.

Do you have something that measures moisture and how do you go about using it with the Mini Advance Egg Incubator?

Any suggestions from you Brinsea users would greatly be appreciated!!!!!!!

Thanks.

7. Mom2Five

Mom2Five In the Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Stuarts Draft, VA
    Good luck on your hatch. and we look forward to your updates. I plan on buying some silkie eggs in the spring to hatch.

8. Sphinx

Sphinx Songster

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Ok, here's my deal with the mini advance. I've only owned it a couple months. The turner on it wasn't working, so the first hatch I did, I had a broody hen sit on them pretty much the entire time. At day 20, I took 7 of her eggs in the house and put them in the brinsea so my kids could watch them hatch. 4/7 hatched within 48 hours of being put in the incubator. The other three had never developed.

The second attempt, I had 4 die about 10 days in, the other 3 never developed. I'd had to hand turn them, and figured that had something to do with it. I sent it back to Brinsea, and it had something really big wrong with it (like bad mother board or circuit board or something like that).

So, this is my third attempt. I haven't monitored humidity with a hygrometer at all yet. I just make sure that one half of the well has water in it. I'm at the end of day 3, and I had to put water in last night.

Oh, and you made me candle. Bad, bad you!!! I saw at least 3 eggs that definitely had development, so I'm excited. With it being shipped eggs, in December, 2000 miles, I'm trying to keep my expectations low.

Now, I should mention that the incubator DID need to have the temperature calibrated. DH brought home a fancy thermometer from the lab, and it showed the brinsea was about .5 degrees too high. So, we calibrated it, and it's been dead on.

9. CSisley

CSisley Chirping

Aug 25, 2011
    Eastern NC
    Hunter - I bought a hygrometer/thermometer combo from pet smart for ~$25.00. It came with a Velcro attachment so I used it and some of my own Velcro to fasten it to the upper part of the incubator. The back part of it sort of rests against a plastic peg that's part of the incubator. The Velcro attachment allows me to remove it when I want to but it sits high enough that it doesnÂ’t get in the way of the eggs when they are turning. I can take some more pictures and post them for you if you need more specifics. Here's a picture that I took of it during my first hatch:
    [​IMG]

Sphinx, lol I apologize in advance for tempting you because I will likely post more pictures of the eggs as they developÂ…

10. Sphinx

Sphinx Songster

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I have committed to myself that I won't candle (again) until Saturday. So there! [​IMG]

I noticed that your Brinsea has a green bottom. Have you added something there? Or did you do that when it came time for lockdown? Did you find that you needed to add water more/less often than what the directions said? or was the hygrometer just peace of mind, and you discovered their instructions were sufficient to keep humidity at proper levels?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by