8 stubborn hens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by caroline02, May 4, 2009.

1. caroline02

caroline02 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2008
    What do you think? I have 8 9 month old pullets that have all layed eggs for about a month, prior to stopping completely 2 weeks ago. Is this normal? They are free range and I give them laying pellets every 3rd day along with kitchen scraps. We are heading into winter now so I thought that might have something to do with it. I just didnt think they would all stop, and for all of winter, if this is why they have stopped.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. Hotttmommi

Hotttmommi Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi just wondering where you are from? You said you were just going INTO winter?

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I can think of three possible clues.
    You are going into winter in your part of the world? The decrease in daylight can cause some hens to lay less or stop laying completely.
    Nine months could be time for a mini-moult. Do any of them look particulary ragged?
    They free range right? They could be hiding eggs somewhere outside.
    Also, laying hens need layer pellets every day, along with fresh clean water. This is true even if they free range.

4. caroline02

caroline02 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2008
    Hi all. Thanks for replying. I live in New Zealand.
    Although they are free range, they still hang around the house and I can see them most of the time. I never hear their laying clucks any more and some of them have proved to be pretty loud layers! They all look tidy to me with their feathers all in place. I will, however, feed them pellets more regularly and see if that makes a difference, even if to hang around the house more? I just thought it odd that they would all stop laying at the same time.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've been doing my own easter egg hunt for the past two weeks. I free range and my egg count is way down. Turns out a hen can be real quiet about laying when she wants to be. I'm still searching for my missing eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by