8 to 16 week Housing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BarredBuff, Jan 6, 2010.

1. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    What do you do for pullet housing? My first flock was 8 weels and they were put in the coop, and the Barred Rocks were moved in immediately with the RIRs. I am on a limited budget so the less money the better, PICTURES WANTED.

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

3. BarredBuff

Dec 6, 2009
    Would a dog kennel work with a house of some type in it?

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I use a 2 story rabbit hutch set inside my coop. I have moved the supplies out of the top half since this pic. I have ceramic heat lamps in the top and bottom. I move them out of the brooder in the house to the top half at about four weeks old. Then after a couple of weeks from the top to the bottom half. That way I can open their door and let them out to mingle for a short period at a time. After a few weeks in the bottom, they move into the coop.

[​IMG]

Edited to say I bought this used on Craigslist for $80. They were asking $120 but they agreed to my price and they delivered it to my house! The netting is on the top to discourage roosting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010
  5. BarredBuff

Dec 6, 2009
    Would a dog kennel work with a tarp over one end of it? With roost poles?

6. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    yes, you could use a dog kennel and place a box of some sort into it for a house. Depending on your outside temps of course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by