8 week australorp, Pullet?

Maybethisyear

In the Brooder
May 14, 2018
We have 29 black australorps that are roughly 8 weeks (we don't really know, we've had them for 6 weeks and they were mostly feathered when we got them). A few are obviously pullets, a few are obviously roos. Then we have a bunch that could go either way, like this one. We are okay keeping them until we figure it out, but would like to offload the roos sooner when we start knowing for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_8358.JPG
    IMG_8358.JPG
    491.3 KB · Views: 70
We have 29 black australorps that are roughly 8 weeks (we don't really know, we've had them for 6 weeks and they were mostly feathered when we got them). A few are obviously pullets, a few are obviously roos. Then we have a bunch that could go either way, like this one. We are okay keeping them until we figure it out, but would like to offload the roos sooner when we start knowing for sure.
This bird looks to be a cockerel. I recommend that you post individual photos of each bird in question: close-up view of their heads in profile showing their combs and wattles, if any.😊

If you look at pics of australorps, cockerels at this age are pretty obvious. Try to get pics in different lighting especially full body and close up of what would be the "hackle" feathers around the neck/shoulders. But, having australorps myself, it looks like a pullet. If cockerel the comb would be much brighter and red in color.

I have had multiple Aussies over the years, I lost my big boy a few years back, but I would say your sweet chook here is a pullet!

Back
Top Bottom