8 week bantams breed confirmation and gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jenizzlisue, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Jenizzlisue

Jenizzlisue In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2019
    Hi! I already posted my polish in another thread but now I finally braved getting the others out (they don't like me as much and they're much harder to catch!) Could you all tell me what you think? They are all bantams. They are all 8 weeks old (maybe minus a couple days)
    #1 is I think a light or mottled brahma Cockerel, he is 8 weeks old and STILL isn't fully feathered!!! Definitely think it's a Cockerel. But I would like confirmation on breed. He has a pea comb right? It has what looks like 3 rows and it's wide. I also chased him around the yard for 20 minutes because he hates me. He's a little prick.
    #2 is my polish, really hoping it's a pullet. Also 8 weeks old. People have said red with red crest and guessed as pullet so far because of the full, rounded crest but I'm worried about saddle feathers. I live this one dearly and it trusts me!
    #3 is the one I'm calling "baby nugget" because it's always liked me and it was the smallest, weakest chick I had when I got them. I believe it's a patridge Cochin? Has a lot of color coming in it's comb and little red wattles but I'm still holding out and hoping it's just a fast developer!
    #4 is also a Cochin I think? What coloring do you call this? And I'm pretty sure that one is a pullet thankfully, no color in the comb and no wattle development yet.

Attached Files:

bantamsrmyfav likes this.
  2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Your dark Brahma (last picture) is definitely a female. Males have a completely different pattern.
    Can you get a picture of her comb? It is possible she is a silver pencilled cochin. :hmm

I believe your Polish is a female.

I think your partridge cochin is likely a female. All the males I have raised were very clear by about 5 weeks.

Your light Brahma might be a male.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  3. Jenizzlisue

Apr 15, 2019
    I don't think the last one is a Brahma, it has a single comb.

4. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    Male Bantam Light Brahma
    Female Red Crested Red Polish
    Male Partridge Cochin
    Female Barred Cochin

(That's my best guesses anyway)

5. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Free Ranging

x2 except I think the partridge Cochin is a boy

x2 except the last one is a silver pencilled Cochin

danceswithronin likes this.
  6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Light Brahma cockerel
    Red Crested Red Polish pullet
    Partridge Cochin cockerel
    Dark Brahma pullet

bantamsrmyfav and drumstick diva like this.
  7. Jenizzlisue

Apr 15, 2019
    I'm pretty sure now that the last one is not a brahma but it's a penciled Cochin.

8. Gray Farms

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Check the comb. Single = Cochin, Pea = Brahma. Its hard to tell in the pic. But Dark Brahmas are much more common than Penciled Cochins, especially from a hatchery.

9. Jenizzlisue

Apr 15, 2019
    Yes it's a single comb, that one was terrified so it was hard to get a picture of.

10. Gray Farms

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Ok, she is a Silver Penciled Cochin then. Congrats those can be hard to find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: