8 week BCM roo lethargic

Daddoo

Songster
Feb 19, 2019
Western Washington
My BCM roo is lethargic mostly sitting there. Still eats and moves when needed but not sure if this is something I should be concerned about. When he's not moving almost like he's hunched not standing up straight if that makes sense. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

What is his poop like? (Very odd question I know, but you will hear it alot here). Have you checked for mites or lice? How does his crop feel? There are many reasons as to why your roo would feel bad. Can you post of pic of him, and if possible his poop. There are many here that can determine an illness or problem by looking at it .

No pop pics but here's the little guy. Vents on all birds look clean and clear. Couple older chickens have some diarrhea.

He can be just pushed over very easly.
20190324_111611.jpg
20190324_111606.jpg

Oh my, poor thing. I would suggest isolating him and trying to get him to take some electrolytes. Save a chick packs from tsc are really good to give mixed with water. Hopefully one of the experts will chime in soon. :(

Greetings Daddoo,

Your little guy looks ill. At 8 weeks old, he should be alert, and very active. They will take little naps when tired out. But, if he is consistently standing or sitting, puffed, and is closing his eyes, he most likely is not feeling well.

His poop is not normal, and is indicative of illness.

At this age my first inclination is to check for coccidia infection. That will require you to take a fecal sample from him. Then, take it to a vet, or lab for a fecal float test. That will confirm whether or not, he has coccidia. Do try to get the fecal float test done, so you can be sure you are treating for the right thing.

Since he is very ill, it would be good to isolate him, so that you can treat, and monitor his progress, till he starts to feel better.

It will not hurt to start treating him with Amprolium (purchase at feed/farm stores) in the water immediately. Corid is most commonly used. If he doesn't start to drink, or doesn't drink enough, you will have to administer some with a dropper or oral syringe. If other chickens have diarrhea, you should treat the whole flock. Which is easy to do by putting the Corid into the waterers. Do not have any other water sources, so that the chickens drink enough of the medicine.

For just one chicken, I prefer to administer some Albon, which will also address some other intestinal infections, as well as, coccidia (which is a parasite). But, this medication requires a prescription, here in California.

A vet is always a good when you are new at chicken keeping, but, if that is not an option, the members here on BYC, can offer advice. But, you are there and will have to decide on the best course of action.

These are my thoughts on your chickens's health issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless:)

Greetings Daddoo,

Your little guy looks ill. At 8 weeks old, he should be alert, and very active. They will take little naps when tired out. But, if he is consistently standing or sitting, puffed, and is closing his eyes, he most likely is not feeling well.

His poop is not normal, and is indicative of illness.

At this age my first inclination is to check for coccidia infection. That will require you to take a fecal sample from him. Then, take it to a vet, or lab for a fecal float test. That will confirm whether or not, he has coccidia. Do try to get the fecal float test done, so you can be sure you are treating for the right thing.

Since he is very ill, it would be good to isolate him, so that you can treat, and monitor his progress, till he starts to feel better.

It will not hurt to start treating him with Amprolium (purchase at feed/farm stores) in the water immediately. Corid is most commonly used. If he doesn't start to drink, or doesn't drink enough, you will have to administer some with a dropper or oral syringe. If other chickens have diarrhea, you should treat the whole flock. Which is easy to do by putting the Corid into the waterers. Do not have any other water sources, so that the chickens drink enough of the medicine.

For just one chicken, I prefer to administer some Albon, which will also address some other intestinal infections, as well as, coccidia (which is a parasite). But, this medication requires a prescription, here in California.

A vet is always a good when you are new at chicken keeping, but, if that is not an option, the members here on BYC, can offer advice. But, you are there and will have to decide on the best course of action.

These are my thoughts on your chickens's health issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless:)

How much corid per gallon?

THANKS!!!

Back
Top Bottom