1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 week BLR Wyandotte gender help *Updated Photos

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lomine, Jun 17, 2016.

1. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Purchased this BLRW as a day-old sexed pullet but I'm a little worried about the pink coloring coming in on the comb and wattles. On the other hand, the pattern seems so even which from what a read is a trait in pullets. Some more information that may make a difference... This chick feathered in quickly and evenly. It carries the tail down all the time except sometimes when running. Personality wise, it hangs out in back, is the last to come to me for treats, and the last to come out of the coop. I haven't noticed any aggression toward the other chicks except for an occasional chest bump type thing but doesn't seem to be the one initiating it.

Also, just out of curiosity, would this be considered blue or splash? I'm a little confused on the difference.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It seems like the comb and wattles aren't as pink when the chick is just laying down. The pictures above were taken right as I was giving them a mealworm snack. Am I imaging it or this a normal thing?
    [​IMG]

I know I may have to wait a few more weeks for the hackle and saddle feathers to show or not. But what do you all think?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm thinking pullet.

~Alex

3. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I sure hope you're right. [​IMG]

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    pullet

5. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Thanks. Any idea on if the color is blue or splash?

6. Alexandra33

I'd say she's the Blue, just a very light shade. [​IMG] Splash would basically be white lacing on red feathers.

~Alex

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  7. miraclz5

miraclz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I love BLRW.... I just lost my most beloved hen (my avatar photo is Tilly!) a week ago to a raccoon! Your girl....and yes I believe she is a pullet is already a Blue.....and yes, she is a Splash! Enjoy! She is beautiful!

8. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Okay. Either way I love the shade. Thank you both.

@miraclz5 I'm sorry for your loss.

9. miraclz5

miraclz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    The Splashs are beautiful! We have a couple that are not very nice cockerels and we have one that we are going back and forth about whether it is a pullet or a cockerel. If it is a pullet, we will keep her for sure! I love the Splash coloring....I just love BLRWs!!!

10. Alexandra33

I'm SO sorry, @miraclz5 ! I just lost one myself....[​IMG]It's never easy.

You're welcome!

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by