8 week chicks plucking themselves .. HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by k7ailaan, Jun 8, 2010.

1. k7ailaan

k7ailaan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    my chicks are almost 8 weeks now .. and noticed they are plucking themselves and losing feathers around the chest and bottom

some of them are fine .. and some have really lost too much .. i was watching them to see if they fight or peck at one another
    but that was not the case .. they just peck their own feathers

any idea on what is going on ?

i free feed them starter along with some green treats

[​IMG]

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    What is the percentage of protein the the feed you are using. Feeding eating sometimes is an indicator of a need for protein. Chicks at that age I still have on chick starter/grower 22% protein.

3. SouthernChick

SouthernChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Are you putting BluKote on the chicks that are getting plucked? You should as this will prevent them from plucking on that chick anymore. Also get a red light which will also stop them from plucking. Keep them on Chick Starter and give them treats to keep them from pecking each other. Good Luck

4. Keg

Keg Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    Melbourne
    Agreed, make sure they're on a high protein food, and give them treats as distraction. A quarter of a cabbage hung with wire can entertain for hours :)

5. k7ailaan

May 25, 2010
    Quote:yea I still have them on 20% starters feed .. could be due to the heat ? its in the 100s most days

I also noticed that they don't eat until late in the afternoon .. i fill early in the morning and by the afternoon only 10% is gone
    by the evening the other 90% is finished.. I'm thinking it might be the heat, coz the water is refilled twice or more a day

6. k7ailaan

May 25, 2010
    Quote:Actually they are not plucking each other .. every one is plucking themselves

what would a red light do ?? haven't heard of it before

7. k7ailaan

May 25, 2010
    Quote:I'll try that, Keg

I'll keep you guys updated

8. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    My 8 week old chicks are losing their feathers as well. I have mine on 22% starter. I thought this was normal for them at this time in getting new feathers. I looked and I see new feathers coming in.

9. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    are they over crowded by chance?

10. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    No, they have lots of room. I have been gradually switching them from medicated to non-medicated, and its a different brand of food. One is more so than the rest. She keep prening her feathers. I looked her over and I see lots of new feathers coming in. More on her back. I don't see any of the others picking at her. I assume this was a normal stange.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by